8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a num nut and accidentally broke off a piece of the block when trying to remove the timing chain cover. The bolt was hiding about midway up the cover on the firewall side. I should have been more patient as I was trying to jostle it free. It snapped like a twig. Am I toast or do you think this can be fixed? I am worried that without the pressure of that bolt holding things together in that corner that there will be a big oil leak. The whole purpose for doing this was to fix some seepage from the gasket that had worn down over time.

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Bicycle drivetrain part

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle chain Crankset Bumper

Automotive tire Sculpture Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal

Bicycle part Automotive tire Hand tool Wood Bicycle chain

·
Registered
170 Posts
Get a tap/die and cut new threads to the left of the broken bolt. Make sure to locate the new hole outside the gaskets seal area. Check to see that there will be enough aluminum on the engine/block side for the corresponding hole to have enough bite. I would cut the old bolt instead of removing it as an open hole is a weak spot. Drill a corresponding hole through the block/engine side. Insert and torque the new bolt to specs, 7.5 ft pounds (I think?) only or you'll pull out the threads or break block again. Should work just fine....

LMK how goes it if you pull it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a tap/die and cut new threads to the left of the broken bolt. Make sure to locate the new hole outside the gaskets seal area. Check to see that there will be enough aluminum on the engine/block side for the corresponding hole to have enough bite. I would cut the old bolt instead of removing it as an open hole is a weak spot. Drill a corresponding hole through the block/engine side. Insert and torque the new bolt to specs, 7.5 ft pounds (I think?) only or you'll pull out the threads or break block again. Should work just fine....

LMK how goes it if you pull it off.
Thank you very much for these excellent ideas. I sure hope there will be enough room to drill a new hole and for the new bolt head. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a few more pics of the block side where the piece broke off. This piece is pretty small, plus there is very little room around the break. I'm not sure I could drill a new bolt hole without lifting the engine out. Do you think a JB weld would be sufficient to hold things together and not leak? As you can see in the pics, the mating area is very thin where the break is. But if I put the broken piece back, there should be plenty of surface area. Just not sure without the added strength of a bolt if it will hold up.

Photograph Money handling Banknote Dollar Currency
Jaw Wood Snow Formation Freezing

Automotive tire Jaw Wood Automotive wheel system Tints and shades

Fluid Wood Liquid Gas Eyelash

Tool Saw Gas Machine Metalworking hand tool

Automotive tire Wood Font Gas Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts