8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I thought I smelled my clutch burning pretty bad doing 70 on the highway. I never rest my foot on the clutch. Any ideas? Is my clutch on the way out? I only have 9k miles on my 08 SI. I wasn't shifting, just cruising.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Small could easily come in through your vents. If you don't feel it, or hear it, it's most likely someone elses.

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
Well there was a new (non GT) mustang right on my right. Some old man was beating on it. It could of been his clutch but the smell was so strong I thought it was me. My windows were up.
My husband had a GT and you could always smell the clutch even if you weren't burning it. It was an organic one that was sooo smelly. Maybe it was the old man next to you?!

Have you smelled it again?

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
I'm probably just too paranoid with my car. Clutch replacement would be a hit I don't want to take on my wallet.
I understand when I had my 3 gear synchro(sp?) replaced Honda put in a new clutch and resurfaced the fly wheel without talking to me first. When I came to pick my car up I had a near 500$ bill for clutch! That was nice of them huh?!

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I understand when I had my 3 gear synchro(sp?) replaced Honda put in a new clutch and resurfaced the fly wheel without talking to me first. When I came to pick my car up I had a near 500$ bill for clutch! That was nice of them huh?!
I wouldn't have paid. AND called HOA right there on the spot. They did the work on their own without consulting you, you're not responsible for the bill.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't know the exact legal requirements, but they can't do work without your authorization and then bill you for it. That'd be the equivalent of doing a tire rotation while doing an inspection (which requires the wheels come off) and billing you for it.

Also, almost all OEM clutch are organic. Clutch smell means the clutch is slipping. Typically people notice when the clutch is slipping. If it's not slipping, it has no reason to smell. You could be smelling something else.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Well I don't think you have anything to worry about, you have a 08 Si? with 9k? damn good for you mine has 19k almost 20k and mines a 08 too! :D I love my car and love to drive it!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, just like someone else on the thread told me recently, to check if your clutch is going out or "slipping" put your car in a low gear and press down on your gas to see how your clutch reacts. It should grab on just fine. Personally I think your fine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took mine in for the 3rd gear also and ended up with a new clutch. they did call me and inform me my clutch was bad. Asked me if I taught someone to drive in my car. I was pissed...I only have 35k on the car and know how to drive a manual tranny. Have owned a few manual cars and never burned out a clutch. They somehow worked a deal with honda to get me the clutch for 350 and no labor charges (might have been the Jeans and high heels) I have noticed that if you pound it hard, it does smell...oops maybe I was killing my clutch. they should have put a better clutch in this car. My thinking is "the "si" means go faster, quicker".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.