8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I own my civic for almost 1.5 yrs now, and so far so good.. However just a while ago, i was at a stop light and needed to accelerate to climb a hill, so i put it in D3, then accelerated smoothly, til i reached around 70km/h, at this point, my rpm was about 5000rpm and since im satisfied with my speed, i changed it to D, soon after, i smelled burning smell coming out of the a/c vent. My a/c was off, but the heater was on for face/feet. Temp outside was 1 deg C, and engine temp was halfway (normal). I warmed up the car properly. Is this normal? cuz its the first time i've experienced this. maybe the transmission burnt or something?

Oh btw, I own an 06 civic lx, AT, sedan.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
i have the same problem. i have a 2010 lx manual. mine smells after acceleration too.
In your case that isn't a problem, your car is still new.

I remember when mine was relatively new it would do this the first few times as well, but not anymore. Just take it easy while you're breaking it in and in a couple thousand miles do it a few times and it won't smell anymore.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I drive a M/T '06 EX

I've noticed this burning smell when driving hard, but I also noticed that it went away after switching to a heavier oil weight. You could try switching to a 5w30 and that should make the smell go away (and perhaps provide better protection for the engine), but you may notice a slight decrease in fuel economy as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts