8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

401 - 420 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
If your'e winding it out to 8200k all the time, you will inevitably burn some oil. I'm at 97k miles and I drive pretty aggressively when traffic allows. I go through 1-2qts every oil change (3000miles) and I'm not worried. I check it occasionally and top some off. These motors are solid as long as you dont let oil cavitation happen as a result of too much blow by and not enough preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've never had low oil issues on my 08 Si up until now, 132,xxx Miles and oil light came on before the past two oil changes at 40% oil life/4000 miles. I am now being more cautious. Will check oil level more frequently. I dont think i have any engine issues or serious oil burning, i passed smog 3 weeks ago. i dont have any oil in my coolant resovior either.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same on my si 08 not even the 3000ml or 15% I notice when my lights show that I had 15% on my oil but when I check Unbelievable.. My oil was too
Low..

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've never had low oil issues on my 08 Si up until now, 132,xxx Miles and oil light came on before the past two oil changes at 40% oil life/4000 miles. I am now being more cautious. Will check oil level more frequently. I dont think i have any engine issues or serious oil burning, i passed smog 3 weeks ago. i dont have any oil in my coolant resovior either.....
1,000 miles later, 85% highway driving, 0.5 quarts of oil burned. 15% oil life on the meter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I got these points. but I have also one question. When I accelerate from a stop I hear a loud clunking noise coming from the engine compartment. What might be the problem?

Thanks
MRO Supply

·
Registered
46 Posts
just had my engine oil light flash briefly when i stopped and the gas station. looked in and found that i had nothing but a bit of black spatter on my dipstick. i waited till my car had sat in the driveway a few hours and checked again, nothing on the dipstick. ughhh, im at 127000km. Took it in to be sure no leak, they said it was likely burning oil. how much oil is consumed from "high" to "low" reading on the dipstick? just curious

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
just had my engine oil light flash briefly when i stopped and the gas station. looked in and found that i had nothing but a bit of black spatter on my dipstick. i waited till my car had sat in the driveway a few hours and checked again, nothing on the dipstick. ughhh, im at 127000km. Took it in to be sure no leak, they said it was likely burning oil. how much oil is consumed from "high" to "low" reading on the dipstick? just curious
1 qt from dot to dot.

You need to keep an eye on it from here on out. It doesn't fix itself. You can use a heavier weight oil, a conventional oil (as opposed to a synthetic -- if you're using a synthetic) or a High-mileage oil (even if you don't have High-mileage). I've experimented at length with the above 3 methods when my RSX-S burned oil. Doing all of the above at the same time helped, but did not fully cure the problem, ever.

I would caution not to use too high of a weight oil being that you're in Canada where it's pretty damn cold. Thicker oil is less viscous and cold start-ups won't have as much lubrication as they may need... If you're going to try a higher weight oil, wait until the summer months. Do your research too. Bobistheoilguy is a good place to start. I'm not responsible if you put gear oil in your engine and mess it up. Try things at your own risk.

Oh and just some tidbits of info. I'm not sure what Honda Canada says, but Honda and Acura USA both say that burning up to 1qt of oil per 1,000 miles is "within spec" for the engine. They should do a compression test and a leak down test to ensure there's nothing REALLY wrong. You're probably just experiencing blow-by and it's just burning up.

I won't get into my thoughts on WHY this is happening -- besides, that's neither here nor there at this point. Just keep an eye on it and get used to topping it up as needed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
1 qt from dot to dot.

You need to keep an eye on it from here on out. It doesn't fix itself. You can use a heavier weight oil, a conventional oil (as opposed to a synthetic -- if you're using a synthetic) or a High-mileage oil (even if you don't have High-mileage). I've experimented at length with the above 3 methods when my RSX-S burned oil. Doing all of the above at the same time helped, but did not fully cure the problem, ever.

I would caution not to use too high of a weight oil being that you're in Canada where it's pretty damn cold. Thicker oil is less viscous and cold start-ups won't have as much lubrication as they may need... If you're going to try a higher weight oil, wait until the summer months. Do your research too. Bobistheoilguy is a good place to start. I'm not responsible if you put gear oil in your engine and mess it up. Try things at your own risk.

Oh and just some tidbits of info. I'm not sure what Honda Canada says, but Honda and Acura USA both say that burning up to 1qt of oil per 1,000 miles is "within spec" for the engine. They should do a compression test and a leak down test to ensure there's nothing REALLY wrong. You're probably just experiencing blow-by and it's just burning up.

I won't get into my thoughts on WHY this is happening -- besides, that's neither here nor there at this point. Just keep an eye on it and get used to topping it up as needed.
My car has burned oil since it was brand new. It's always been a consistent 1.5 to 2 quart loss between changes.

I've always run M1 and switched to the "High Mileage" variant at ~ 75k. There was no decrease in consumption. I also tried switching to a Dino - based high mileage oil recently. No change in consumption there either, only black smoke stains on exhaust tip.

I am in TN and have considered a heavier weight oil, but as cold as the winters have gotten here recently I am too nervous. I doubt it would help much anyway.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My car has burned oil since it was brand new. It's always been a consistent 1.5 to 2 quart loss between changes.

I've always run M1 and switched to the "High Mileage" variant at ~ 75k. There was no decrease in consumption. I also tried switching to a Dino - based high mileage oil recently. No change in consumption there either, only black smoke stains on exhaust tip.

I am in TN and have considered a heavier weight oil, but as cold as the winters have gotten here recently I am too nervous. I doubt it would help much anyway.
I am not a fan of the 'high mileage' oils as I think today's modern oils have enough detergents and additives to keep your valve guide stem seals lubricated and internal gaskets soft. Besides that - what are they providing?

You can run thicker oils in the summer and thinner in the winter. I am a Mobil 1 synthetic fan because Walmart has 5 quart jugs for $21. Cheap DIY. But I think the M1 blows by the fastest.

But I have run Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 H.D. diesel oil per the autocrosser's recommendations and it helps a bit.

Face it, with 8,000 rpm shifts, those valves and coming and going past each other so fast that the oil just blows thru and out the tailpipe. Or you can drive like a granny and save oil. Nah! :vtec:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am not a fan of the 'high mileage' oils as I think today's modern oils have enough detergents and additives to keep your valve guide stem seals lubricated and internal gaskets soft. Besides that - what are they providing?

You can run thicker oils in the summer and thinner in the winter. I am a Mobil 1 synthetic fan because Walmart has 5 quart jugs for $21. Cheap DIY. But I think the M1 blows by the fastest.

But I have run Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 H.D. diesel oil per the autocrosser's recommendations and it helps a bit.

Face it, with 8,000 rpm shifts, those valves and coming and going past each other so fast that the oil just blows thru and out the tailpipe. Or you can drive like a granny and save oil. Nah! :vtec:
That's the thing though. My car burns oil no matter how I drive it. I have owned the car since '06 and i've been disabled since '11. I used to beat the crap out of it when it was new, plus I commuted to work every day. Now I drive only a few miles a day and I rarely ever drive it hard anymore.

It consistently burns oil no matter what I do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently had my oil light come on for the first time ever at 110k miles (2010 SI sedan). I was about 4300 miles into the oil change (I typically get it changed at 3k miles). They said I was two quarts low, so they started an oil consumption test.

So I'm assuming that honda says it is okay to burn 1 qt per 1000 miles, as a lot of manufacturers do, but is this really normal? I've never noticed it before because I get it changed so frequently. Should I really pursue a fix for this (still under extended warranty)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 07 Si I used to have with over 100k on the clock would burn roughly 1 quart between my 5k oil change interval. Not really sure how it was broken in as I bought the vehicle with 37k on it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The 07 Si I used to have with over 100k on the clock would burn roughly 1 quart between my 5k oil change interval. Not really sure how it was broken in as I bought the vehicle with 37k on it.
I bought my '07 Si off the showroom floor with 9 miles on it. I followed Honda's break in procedure and it had already burned a quart of the break in oil in those first 500 miles. It's always burnt 2.5 to 3 quarts between ~5000 mile (Maintenance Minder) oil changes. I just rolled over 100k the other day and it still burns it like crazy. Aside from needing to have the exhaust tip sandblasted to remove the soot, there have been no other issues from this. It's just a pain to check it all the time.

I'm considering selling the car for something bigger and I guess I'll have to sell it to Carmax or maybe trade it. I just wouldn't feel right selling it to a private buyer and not disclosing the oil issue. If it didn't have this problem the car would bring excellent money to a private buyer as I've taken such good care of it and had all the maintenance done. Maybe I can find a former s2000 owner who is used to oil burning Hondas...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 07 Si is doing the same thing. Bought my car almost 3 years ago w/ 90,000 miles & it never ran low on oil when I would be ready for an oil change. Now, since I hit 130,000 miles, my oil pressure light flashed 2 months after my oil change (I don't drive it very far often). I checked the oil & nothing on the dip stick. Put a qrt of Lucas in it & 2 qrt's of Mobile 1 HM which is what I've used for a while now. Took it to my tech, no leaks, did a burn test & wasn't good. I'm burning double the normal amount. Another tech who I go to happens to have the exact same car I do. He recommended using Rotella T-6 5w-30. His Si did the same as well & he was using Mobile 1 HM also. Said when he switched he stopped burning near as much oil. I'm a little nervous about trying it but gotta do something! So am getting my oil changed today & will see what happens.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My 07 Si is doing the same thing. Bought my car almost 3 years ago w/ 90,000 miles & it never ran low on oil when I would be ready for an oil change. Now, since I hit 130,000 miles, my oil pressure light flashed 2 months after my oil change (I don't drive it very far often). I checked the oil & nothing on the dip stick. Put a qrt of Lucas in it & 2 qrt's of Mobile 1 HM which is what I've used for a while now. Took it to my tech, no leaks, did a burn test & wasn't good. I'm burning double the normal amount. Another tech who I go to happens to have the exact same car I do. He recommended using Rotella T-6 5w-30. His Si did the same as well & he was using Mobile 1 HM also. Said when he switched he stopped burning near as much oil. I'm a little nervous about trying it but gotta do something! So am getting my oil changed today & will see what happens.
I've never run Rotella Synthetic but I did run Rotella 10w40 in an oil burning Corolla I drove in college. Couldn't kill that car. The transaxle eventually **** the bed and I gave it to a friend who could fix it. It's still being driven by his sister. Good oil. I'll probably give the Rotella a try the next time I change it, but to be honest I don't think it will make much of a difference. I think my engine has a cylinder ring that failed to seat properly during break in. It's been a sieve ever since.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I forgot to mention...

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here too. If you are like me you were pretty upset with Honda when they switched OEM oil filter manufacturers a few years back. The original OEM filters made by Filtech (A01) were much better than the newer OEM model A02s that were made by Fram. I actually bought the A02s at the Honda parts counter a few times back in 2011 as I didn't realize that the part number had changed. The Fram filters are vastly inferior to the Filtechs.

Long story short, there is a seller on Amazon that has a stockpile of the A01 filters for sale for reasonable prices. I bought a couple of cases and they are legit. A case of 5 comes to $31.35 with free shipping, so $6.27 per filter. I was paying about $8 a piece for mid-level Fram filters at Walmart.

The seller's name is Mower Partsman. Just make sure he is the one you're ordering from. There are a few comments from other people who accidentally got A02s by ordering from a different seller.

A few pics of the score:

401 - 420 of 436 Posts