8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you still burning oil? (SI only)

I am going to buy an 07 SI as soon as they are available and want to know if you guys are still burning a bunch of oil after the break in period. Please include current mileage and your break in method (aggressive or reserved).:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
I was 1 quart low (added a quart) at about 900 miles. Broke in for 600 miles. Never went above 4k or above 75 mph (and that was very rare) during break in. I have not seen the oil drop since and im at 2300 miles now

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have over 10K miles on my Si and the oil thing was only for the initial break in period. Most cars are this way, especially with such a high reviing enging like the Si. The burning smell a lot of the time initially is just the cat burning itself in.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I got my oil changed about 2K miles ago and I checked my oil the other night and it was still full. Also, I am sure you can keep the oil in longer on these cars, but I am sticking to 50% or about 3K miles like the tech at my dealership suggested. He basically said a car that you drive hard like this, you don't want to wait till 15%-20%. He wasnt just saying that to keep me coming back cuz I told him I was only coming for the 2 free oil changes and then I was going synthetic and changing the oil myself which everyone should do. It's really not that hard and I havent worked much on cars before I got the Si.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
stay out of Vtec engagement and u won't have that problem

but IT IS NORMAL FOR HONDA ENGINES TO BURN OIL!(esp VTEC engines)

my parents olddd 97 Accord EX burned oil and it had a VTEC...i guess they were stomping it lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
CivicWithNav said:
stay out of Vtec engagement and u won't have that problem

but IT IS NORMAL FOR HONDA ENGINES TO BURN OIL!(esp VTEC engines)

my parents olddd 97 Accord EX burned oil and it had a VTEC...i guess they were stomping it lol

Thats exactly right. VTEC is what burns the oil. Thats why you see noticeable consumption on the S2000 and Si's.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I've got 6000 miles and I don't seem to be burning any oil. I don't always take it easy either.:driving:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have about 1300 miles. I was between the first and second dot on the dip stick. I added 3/4 of a quart. This has been my first time doing so.

·
Registered
271 Posts
oh ya!

Really though mine has stoped burning oil. I dont know if it really ever did burn much. About 1200 miles after i got it i checked the oil and it was down to about half. I kept checking it and it went down just a hair over the next few miles then at 3k i got it changed now its holding on full at 5k miles. Its just a hair down from where it was after the oil change.

If your car is burning alot of oil after around 5k you must be driving the **** out of it or your engine is messed up.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
my oil life indicator has been at 0% for awhile, so i guess its telling me i havent used up any oil. Im at 7k miles and still dont need to change.

i love this car!

·
Registered
271 Posts
BLU BY U said:
my oil life indicator has been at 0% for awhile, so i guess its telling me i havent used up any oil. Im at 7k miles and still dont need to change.

i love this car!
nasty little troll:party:

1 - 20 of 436 Posts