8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the story is, a guy rear hit the side of my bumper. He admitted fault and will be paying for the repair. It's really scratched up with one area where I think a portion of the paint/plastic is gone. Luckily, there were no other damages anywhere else from what I can see.

Now because it's plastic, is it repairable or must it be replaced? Should I go to a dealership or some other shop? If the latter, any suggestions on some good places in the Scarborough/Markham area. Also, any estimate on what it might cost?

I've never done this before and am quite a beginner when it comes to this stuff.

Below are a couple of pictures of the damage.

Thanks

-Somewhat pissed

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks pretty bad. Since the guy admitted fault and stuff, I would just get it replaced. And depending on if he's a nice guy or not, you might not want to get it replaced at a dealership since the price is going to be substantially higher. Buy the lip from Honda and have a garage do the work for you....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks pretty bad. Since the guy admitted fault and stuff, I would just get it replaced. And depending on if he's a nice guy or not, you might not want to get it replaced at a dealership since the price is going to be substantially higher. Buy the lip from Honda and have a garage do the work for you....
Any recommendations on a body shop?

·
Registered
716 Posts
it looks like it's just the paint down to the plastic. just that corner can easily be filled/primed, resprayed and blended into the rest of the bumper that you won't notice. and you get to keep your vin tag on the bumper. if i had to guess, a couple hundred? i would expect them to take off the rear bumper for the repair.

the guy said he'd pay for it. i'd go to where you dealer sends their cars to and get an estimate for a new bumper painted and installed, get your money and decide from there. a new bumper installed and painted is more money, but it wasn't your fault.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to get some estimates and it indeed costs about $250. There is a couple of scratches just above the bumper, but I think those can be polished out.

I have a new dilemma now though...the guy who hit me is not picking up my phone calls. Whenever I try and call him, he just throws me over to his voicemail. Been trying all day yesterday and this morning.

I don't even know if it's worth going through insurance because I have a $500 deductible anyways. But this has become an issue of principle. If his premiums have a chance of going up, I think it will be worth it. I was nice to this guy and this is the respect I get. I didn't think he would be like this, as he was so apologetic about the incident. I guess he put on a fairly good act.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Fineline Collision in Markham did a fantastic job on my front end when someone hit me, and anyone has seen my car now - I'm sure they'd agree. They might be more expensive, but their work is worth every penny!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.