8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....
I have an audio question for all you audio-heads out there.

I have 2 12in. Sony xplode subs which are 1300 watt max and 380 rms.
The amp i have is a Sony xplode 1200 watt max,
-500 rms x 1 at 4 ohms,
-200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
-250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms.
-Mine is wired up to 200 RMS at 4 omhs.
My question to you is should I get another amp, one for each sub or leave it the way it is? They hit pretty hard now, but i have read about underpowering them and i dont want that to happen...and more bass isnt anything to complain about. :thumb:

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you gains are set properly, you won't damage your subs. "Underpowering" is really about clipping. If you drive your amp into clipping, that's how you damage speakers. What kind of enclosure are you using?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey guys....
I have an audio question for all you audio-heads out there.

I have 2 12in. Sony xplode subs which are 1300 watt max and 380 rms.
The amp i have is a Sony xplode 1200 watt max,
-500 rms x 1 at 4 ohms,
-200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
-250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms.
-Mine is wired up to 200 RMS at 4 omhs.
My question to you is should I get another amp, one for each sub or leave it the way it is? They hit pretty hard now, but i have read about underpowering them and i dont want that to happen...and more bass isnt anything to complain about. :thumb:

Thanks!
you'll be fine the way you are....

If you build a ported box for them you'll be even doing better

:thumb:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:yeahthat:

If you switch from sealed to ported, you'll get more output from your existing subs and amp.
The guy i talked to told me sealed was the best way to go. What is the difference in sound and air flow and stuff?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
depends on the sub, tuning frequency, environment its in, and other variables

Usually ported has higher SPL which peaks at a certain frequency thus creating a "boomy" sound at that frequency. Sealed has a flatter response which means that all frequencies across the board have the same SPL level and is generally regarded as a better SQ setup.

It's up to you to decide what you want. You can make a ported box sound very nice and less "boomy" than most people make them.

There's much more to it, but that's a general idea.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
depends on the sub, tuning frequency, environment its in, and other variables

Usually ported has higher SPL which peaks at a certain frequency thus creating a "boomy" sound at that frequency. Sealed has a flatter response which means that all frequencies across the board have the same SPL level and is generally regarded as a better SQ setup.

It's up to you to decide what you want. You can make a ported box sound very nice and less "boomy" than most people make them.

There's much more to it, but that's a general idea.
So a ported box will give me more boom without having to get another amp?

thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
So a ported box will give me more boom without having to get another amp?

thank you all for your help!
Like I said, it depends.

You really need to do some homework on ported boxes before building one. You really have to calculate tuning frequency, internal volume, displacements due to subwoofer and bracing, and other factors. With trunk cars you also have to consider cabin gain which can cause you to get extra "boom" that is not wanted and not seen when plotting the frequency response (unless you have a program that can account for cabin gain).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, it depends.

You really need to do some homework on ported boxes before building one. You really have to calculate tuning frequency, internal volume, displacements due to subwoofer and bracing, and other factors. With trunk cars you also have to consider cabin gain which can cause you to get extra "boom" that is not wanted and not seen when plotting the frequency response (unless you have a program that can account for cabin gain).
alright will do!
thx for the assistance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts