8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Building Fiberglass Encloser for 10"s Stage I&II

I want them on each sides of the trunk as not to take up all my trunk space. It's my DD and I need my trunk! I took them out a bit to cover the wheel well board as I plan to modify that to fit the box. I wanted a little extra air space and cutting the corner of the wheel well board is cake. :thumb:
Check out stage one!

First I laid down blue painters tape to completely cover the work area. I then laid town foil on top of that and used small pieces of tape to secure it. This way, once the fiberglass is laid over it, it'll remove easily.

Stage II - laying the fiberglass
In this pic, the shapes are just from parts of the tinfoil that I began peeling away. Some of it is stuck. (the fiberglass is transparent)
I've got several layers of fiberglass on there by now.

I started with the matte fiberglass for making the mold, as it's easier to work with, and for the rest it's going to be the weave, which is much stronger.

Right now I'm just ordering custom speaker rings before I move onto stage III.
Oh yeah! I know by now everyone wants one. lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Couple of quick questions...

First, how big will your enclosure space end up being, approximately?

Second, what subs are you planning on placing in the enclosures?

Third, if a shop were to produce these for me, approximately how much do you think they would charge?

Reason being is that this is EXACTLY what I wanted to do to mine in the future, and because I have absolutely zero experience with fiberglass, I'm reluctant to do so.

Custom enclosures FTW! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
fiberglass is tough. i fiberglassed my grille as my first project and now that i have than under my belt i feel like i can do much better. i have a better understanding of it and all.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple of quick questions...

First, how big will your enclosure space end up being, approximately?

Second, what subs are you planning on placing in the enclosures?

Third, if a shop were to produce these for me, approximately how much do you think they would charge?

Reason being is that this is EXACTLY what I wanted to do to mine in the future, and because I have absolutely zero experience with fiberglass, I'm reluctant to do so.

Custom enclosures FTW! :thumb:
For this one it'll be about .7-.8 cubic ft. You can easily make it larger. I'm using Phoenix Gold Octane R subs that I've had sitting around for years. 10" in size. If a shop were to do it, it'd probably be about $300 for each box.
Which part of FL is that city? I'm near Jax. I might be able to do one for you.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stage III

Stage IV

I got the resin on it and it's drying now. Tomorrow I'll prolly cut out the hole and take a pic w/ the sub in there. it looks sekzy.
Still trying to be creative with the amp mount. I think I need to get a larger amp so for now it'll just be a simple amp install.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
box nearly completed

It's done minus the carpet. I got it all reinforced inside and it's good and solid. I reinforced it from the inside so it didn't need ridiculous amounts of smoothing on the outside. :thumb:

Stage V

Stage VI

Now to find the carpet... lol.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't feel like searching for carpet and I remembered I had some nice tweed lying around so I decided to use that since it looked pretty nice in the trunk.

All's thats left is to add the cup in the back for the speaker wire.
To hold it in place I plan to use the hard part of the velcro tape which sticks to our trunk very well. It's how I have everything mounted in the trunk so it doesn't slide around. Just tape it to the box, and the velcro does it's job on the carpet. Genius, I know.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
nice... not sure if i like the fabric tho... nicely done... i'm gonna start messing with fiberglass & carbon fiber soon... but for what hmmmm??? :lildevil:

·
Registered
88 Posts
dude i hope you use body filler on that b4 you put anything on it to add to its strength and i hope the area you cut out holds b/c you are supposed to cut it in sections and fold to add strength the structure of the circle... sounds kind of weird but trust me its my profession I have been doing glass work for 8 years...

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dude i hope you use body filler on that b4 you put anything on it to add to its strength and i hope the area you cut out holds b/c you are supposed to cut it in sections and fold to add strength the structure of the circle... sounds kind of weird but trust me its my profession I have been doing glass work for 8 years...
body filler is for just that, filling area's with gaps and rough surfaces. The fiberglass is the actual strength to the box. First I used the fiberglass mat because it's easier to work with and cut, after that, I used primarily the weave which is very strong. As I said, I added the weave to the inside after it was completely framed out instead of the outside because I didn't feel like extensive sanding. :thumb: The MDF circle is fiberglass reinforced from the backside yo.

the fabric looks better in person, but yeah, it would look CLEANER with OEM looking carpet, and clean is my cars middle name.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
do you think that that is deep enough to fit a 10w6v2?
Mine has a 6" mounting depth and it fits with a couple inches to spare. I also have the cup for the speaker wire behind it.
My sub only requires .5 cubic ft of air space and this is around .8
It hits pretty hard. I'm happy with the sound so far and I don't even have the proper amp yet. I may not be adding another to the other side b/c it'll prolly be too much.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts