8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have teamed up with www.racelabz.com and am going to build a 2006 Civic Si for SCCA road racing in the Showroom Stock B (SSB) Class. I will be putting a roll cage in it and the HFP suspension along with a custom exhaust (after cat) It will also have a race seat and belts along with a few other safety additions to meet the rules. I have to run stock rims, and all things under the hood must remain stock for meeting class standards. A BMW Z4 won the class last year, but the civic had the two fastest laps in the Championship race at Road America 2009.

Here is the car that I have purchased:

A little bit about this car is that I found it on the Orange County Craigslist (but it is from LA ;) )and worked out a deal on the phone to fly to LA and get it on Feb 27th and then drive it back. The car was in some Honda commercials in 2005 to introduce the new body style. Then it was purchased by the person I am getting the car from. Having a clean history when building a race car can be important when facing protests. You cannot have anything out of place from previous owners.

The car will go to my roll cage guy (www.premierfabinc.net) in East Troy, WI on March 3rd. Here are some cage pics that I will be using as a base for my cage:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am glad someone will be taking the time to work on her. I never had the money and I wasn't dedicated enough because I am alwasy leaving the country. :) btw, i don't live in the OC, that's a bit of an insult for LA people.... :)

oh and another little piece of trivia about the car... according to my buddy at Honda (the one who got her for me back in '05) she was one of the first 12 Si's to arrive in CA when the '06 model first came out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fly out in the morning to pick up the race car. Thought I would take this opportunity to list the specifics of what I will attempt to accomplish before the first road race on April 25th at Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit, IL (Near the WI/IL border)

Before it goes to the cage guy on Wednesday:

Get bolts for Sparco seat brackets that I ordered
Get bolts for seat brace (holds seat to cage for stability and safety)
Remove the door panels, and rear seats for cage install
Get misc brackets for mounting window net properly

Once I get it back in no particular order:

Paint the cage
Fix any exterior blemishes and paint the whole thing white with black hood to match RaceLabz paint scheme (orange mirrors and wing as well)
New clutch with flywheel resurfaced to factory limit
All injectors cleaned professionally
HFP Suspension kit installed
All bushings replaced with new stock bushings (car has 85k, so I want it to be crisp)
New wheel bearings
Removal of A/C
Install racing rearview mirror
Install race belts
Install tow strap in front putting a slit in front bumper for it to pull from
Brand new rotors and race pads
All fresh fluids (brake system, clutch system, coolant system, power steering, and engine and trans)
Install exhaust (Apexi until I can get the custom one made from RaceLabz)
New air filter
Remove stereo
Disconnect air bag system

I think that is it, but this is off the top of my head. Anything you think I should check? Remember the car needs to be stock, I was trying to think of anything that would be worn out after 85k miles. There will probably be something that I notice once I get the car and start tearing it down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an FYI, no power steering fluid, it's electronic.
Can't wait to see the full build though.
:facepalm:

In my defense, I have not actually been under the hood of an 8th gen yet. I do know they drive by wire and I almost said "new plugs and wires" out of habit lol. I am not used to working on anything so new.

I appreciate the way that it was stated too, this may be the only time in thread history that someone wasn't cut down for putting up something so obviously silly.

I am excited to see more people be excited about it too. This car will be on the track at a regional SCCA race in less than two months. Buckle up, it is about to get crazy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flew to LA about 915am Saturday, got back to Milwaukee about 9pm Sunday with the car. Averaged about 74mph with gas stops. Hit snow in AZ and I kept it at 85mph because I wanted to get home. Did a little work on in last night:

Remove door panels, remove driver airbag, remove passenger seat, remove parts of dash for cage install

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dropping off at the cage guy tonight, hope to stop by the shop on Sunday and snap some pics and maybe do a little work on the car to get it ready for tech inspection on March 28th.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went out to the shop where the cage is getting done and all that is left to do is mount my seat, make the door bars, seat brace, bar across rear hoop for mounting the shoulder belts and the rear strut brace. He said he should have the cage done by next weekend. Once I get it back, I will prep it for exterior paint. Interior paint and other safety related items (fire extinguisher, tow strap, roll bar padding, seat belt install, etc.) will be done when it gets back from exterior paint and I want to have the car stickered and able to pass tech inspection by March 28th. That is the day of the Milwaukee Region SCCA Open House where there are race cars on display (Realtime Racing will have a car there) and lots of bench racing and annual tech is available for people who have their cars ready.

All of the "go fast" parts (HFP Suspension, exhaust, etc.) can be put on between the 28th and the first race on 4/25. Now for a few cage teaser pics:

We also took the front bumper off to find a mounting location for the tow strap.

Seeing the damage on the lower part of the condensor shows me that a mesh to protect the radiator is a must.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked it up from the welder on Sat night. Driver door wouldn't close right because of the door bars, so I had to cut away a little more of the inner door skin. Window still is in there and goes up and down. That is all I cared about. Premier Fab did a great job on the cage and made a custom seat bracket and window net bar as well. I had to get the mirrors, wing, headlights and taillights, and some trim pieces off for painting. Dropped it off at Maaco New Berlin for the RaceLabz paint scheme. They will fix up the minor body damage and get it ready for the stickers and the season :) More pics to come of inside and out once I get it back into my hands. Still lots to do:

Vacuum out the whole thing, get the cage painted, reinstall interior (custom fitting pieces around the cage in some cases), install tow strap, install extinguisher, take off A/C components, install belts, install Apexi exhaust, install wide review mirror, place all stickers....... damn

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This thread is really picking up steam now :p

Anyway, had a friend sneek over to check on the car at the paint shop. Should get it back tonight to do major work on it :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Looking good so far :clapping:

Just out of curiosity, have you participated in an SCCA season before or is this a new venture? Just curious to your racing background.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I started road racing in 2003 (Spec Miatas) for a team and then did some Pro races as well in 03-04. Got frustrated because the team didn't have enough money to have the cars be fast enough for Pro competition. I have been instructing for 10 years (local autocross and track days at Road America) and have a National Championship in Autocross. I am going for an autocross championship and road racing championship in the same year (this year ;))

I actually took my driver's school at Hallett which is near you. I loved that track, hope to get back sometime.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts