8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So yesterday I went through a major pothole (almost 1 feet deep) and it scuffed the sidewall of my tires AND my rims :readtherules:

I get all scared and worried and went to a Shell to check the air pressure. Turns out it was fine, so I drive home. After about 50km, I go to another Shell (different than previous one) and check the tire pressure again. The side that hit the pothole, I was not able to check the tire pressure or inflate it. The instant that I push the air pump in, air just starts leaking. I tried different angles and force and I was just not able to put in any air, all the while air was deflating since the tab was pushed in. I tried other tires and it was fine. I lost about 5-7psi while trying to check. I'm like f*** this, so I drove to another Shell about 10km away. Same thing happens!

I suspect my valve stem (the thing that sticks out for you to pump air) is broken, but I have no idea how I broke it. However, since the initial problem was the pothole, I'm worried that the tire is actually popped inside (metal wiring breaking) and will eventually blow. I know that is really dangerous b/c unlike slow air leaking, this will cause the tire to literally blow up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Does anyone know any good tire shops/garages where I can get it checked?

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
You're lucky that the tire didn't get ripped by the pothole, I've seen it happen where the edges of the pothole shredded the sidewalls of two tires.

Take some dishwashing liquid and mix in water, jack your car up, and coat areas with the solution, it will bubble where the air is leaking from , if that's is what you want to determine.

(use a portable pump that runs off the acc.) or do it at an air pump, change to your spare first, then take the damaged tire to the pump, and see if you can find where the leak is occuring

Or

Midas will check it, walmart, almost any tireshop will check it for you. (usually for free) Tell them what happened and if they can check it for you.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You're lucky that the tire didn't get ripped by the pothole, I've seen it happen where the edges of the pothole shredded the sidewalls of two tires.

Take some dishwashing liquid and mix in water, jack your car up, and coat areas with the solution, it will bubble where the air is leaking from , if that's is what you want to determine.

(use a portable pump that runs off the acc.) or do it at an air pump, change to your spare first, then take the damaged tire to the pump, and see if you can find where the leak is occuring

Or

Midas will check it, walmart, almost any tireshop will check it for you. (usually for free) Tell them what happened and if they can check it for you.
Dito - GreenBay uses the same technique to determine tire leakages as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response..

I took it to Greenbay this morning. Hilarious as they kept checking out my car and mounting T/A style rims to see how it matches. But anyways, after the soap+water technique, they concluded that neither my tire or the valve stem has leaks. It just doesn't really make sense since 2 different gas stations both couldn't pump air into only that tire! But what doesn't make sense even more is that they were able to pump air into that tire!! @[email protected]

The thing I'm worried about most is the tire belt inside breaking b/c that is dangerous as it'll swell up until suddenly your tire blows up. And since I have long stretches of highway commute daily, that would be a very, very dangerous thing.

The valve stem, I'm not so worried about.

And Adrian, I called Midas and my dealership and both said it would be about $30 to change the valve stem or like almost $50 for a tire inspection. YEAH OK.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
call them and said.... DUDE WTF I BOUGHT THE WARRANTY, FIX IT NOW AT YOUR OWN COST DAMN IT!

I was gonna say, just change the tire to spare tires first as adrian mentioned. then just bring it to dealership to fix. can't do anything about it.

oh btw, have you try to pump air in after the shop showed you they could?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh btw, have you try to pump air in after the shop showed you they could?
thinking about it but didn't want to risk not being able to inflate it and instead having it deflated.... I'm gonna wait it out and if the tire belt has no problem, which is the serious one, then I'll try it out. If anything I just need to replace a valve stem which is not a big deal.

Francis, lol... they were showing me "Avanti" T/A style 18" rims haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.