8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I went through a major pothole (almost 1 feet deep) and it scuffed the sidewall of my tires AND my rims

I get all scared and worried and went to a Shell to check the air pressure. Turns out it was fine, so I drive home. After about 50km, I go to another Shell (different than previous one) and check the tire pressure again. The side that hit the pothole, I was not able to check the tire pressure or inflate it. The instant that I push the air pump in, air just starts leaking. I tried different angles and force and I was just not able to put in any air, all the while air was deflating since the tab was pushed in. I tried other tires and it was fine. I lost about 5-7psi while trying to check. I'm like f*** this, so I drove to another Shell about 10km away. Same thing happens!

I suspect my valve stem (the thing that sticks out for you to pump air) is broken, but I have no idea how I broke it. However, since the initial problem was the pothole, I'm worried that the tire is actually popped inside (metal wiring breaking) and will eventually blow. I know that is really dangerous b/c unlike slow air leaking, this will cause the tire to literally blow up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've had 2 defective valve stems where I went to fill them up and the valve STAYED IN, thereby giving me 2 flats (thank God it was a sunday and I had 2 cars).

Go get the valve stem replaced. Should be about $20 (dismount/remount, new valve stem).

Joe

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Definitely go get the whole tire checked out ASAP. Not just the valve stem.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Force, inertia, air, speed, weight, etc all play while your driving. Those tires are 30 psi and your car weight 2,800 lb and that pot hole was 1 Ft deep. You pushed your tired down (in the pothole) and when you hit it back up on the cement, you hit the edge of that pothole kind of hard to make the stem broke. You hard the loud clunk then. Salt on the road likes to eat up the pavement.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
well first is it a rubber valve or do you have air sensors? what probably happened is when your tire went into the pot hole it either cracked/slit your valve stem. if you know nothing about tires take it in to get checked. the valve will have to be replaced but your tire might be safe. usually the belts in the tire will break before it blows. if you don't have a broken belt then your tire should be fine
edit nvm your in canada so it's a rubber valve stem. you just sliced the valve stem so that it leaks when you push on it.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Are the stems rubber or the metal sensor type ? Also if you can see a bubble on the tire were you hit then the tire is no good,if not you are probably fine,just need the valve stem fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
well first is it a rubber valve or do you have air sensors? what probably happened is when your tire went into the pot hole it either cracked/slit your valve stem. if you know nothing about tires take it in to get checked. the valve will have to be replaced but your tire might be safe. usually the belts in the tire will break before it blows. if you don't have a broken belt then your tire should be fine
edit nvm your in canada so it's a rubber valve stem. you just sliced the valve stem so that it leaks when you push on it.
Man you beat me to it.. LOL yes do what he said,it probably the rubber stem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the responses guys!

Are the stems rubber or the metal sensor type ? Also if you can see a bubble on the tire were you hit then the tire is no good,if not you are probably fine,just need the valve stem fixed.
Yes I do have a rubber valve and no TPMS (yes.. Canada eh?)

Here's a slight update:
I took the car into a local tire shop and guess what, they said NOTHING is wrong with the tire. They did the whole water+soap thing and inspected my tire slowly and said there are no leaks INCLUDING the valve stem. They went on to say that a lot of gas stations have crappy pumps which will either f*** up your valve stem or just not be able to inflate it. I believed only half of that since I am able to do it on the other tires and I've inflated gas on that specific tire as well.

However, they really were able to pump the tire with their own pump and obvoiusly that sort of shows that my valve stem is not broken? I'm still not sure about that one. I mean they could've forced it somehow?

Another question:
How soon will I see the bubble/bulge in the tire? They advised me of this as well saying if the metal pieces of wire (or whatever you call those things) pierced the inner wall, you would see this bubble/bulge growing from that spot. How soon does it appear? It's been roughly 24 hrs since I hit the pothole. They said I should see it by now, but I'd want a second opinion.

Thanks again! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
the shop you took it to sounds like they know nothing. when you move your valve stem do you hear any air coming out? the broken belt should show right away. when you drive do you feel anything different? if i were you i'd take it to another shop. but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the shop you took it to sounds like they know nothing. when you move your valve stem do you hear any air coming out? the broken belt should show right away. when you drive do you feel anything different? if i were you i'd take it to another shop. but thats just my opinion.
Yeah I'm definitely questioning them although they are the most reputatable tire shop in the area. It was a quiet day and their entire staff was checking the tire + chatting about my Si lol.

So the bubble/bulge that is a result of a broken belt shows instantly? So if I'm not seeing an obvious bubble/bulge near the area where it hit, I don't have to worry about a broken belt? That's my main concern since a broken valve stem is not a big deal/inexpensive.

I thought about going to another shop, but a lot of places just charge for tire swap + check. For local tire shops, that place is the only one that is reputable....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's cold it will bubble/bulge. I doubt that you'll get it, it was a small pothole, so your fine.
I sure hope so... although as I mentioned, the pothole was like 1 feet deep.... when it hit, all I felt was rim to pothole/ground, absolutely no cushioning from the tire which means it hit pretty darn hard.

It is cold since I'm from Canada. So am I safe regarding the tire belt???

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
ok well if it was a foot deep your car would still be in it. your not driving a 4x4. if your car drove over it without messing your bumper or undercarriage or bending your rim it should be fine. if you notice it starting to leak again go to another place.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok well if it was a foot deep your car would still be in it. your not driving a 4x4. if your car drove over it without messing your bumper or undercarriage or bending your rim it should be fine. if you notice it starting to leak again go to another place.
I guess that's true, although I didn't check the bottom of my kit/car. And the fact that the pothole wasn't long (just deep), my tires were probably able to sort of "hang" between the edges... I dunno if that makes sense, but I the pothole was definitely deep.

The thing is, if the tire belt is broken, it wouldn't leak right? I mean that's the whole reason why the bubble/bulge grows because of trapped air pressure right?

Oh and I just checked the valve stem by pushing it around. I don't hear any air leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.