8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I started my 2009 Honda Civic today and it sounded louder than normal, especially when accelerating.
I went to take a look at the muffler and exhaust system only to discover first that the muffler moves. I then discovered that the pipe leading from the muffler to the resonator was completely severed.
Is this an expensive repair? I’ve attached a picture below. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
06FG2 736.72whp/[email protected] e85/ FA1-R18 Daily FTW
5,691 Posts
Might need some more pictures to determine how much is damaged but you basically have 2 options.
1. Just run down to a muffler shop and have them weld in piece where its damaged or
2. Upgrade time and get a whole new cat back system.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi,

I started my 2009 Honda Civic today and it sounded louder than normal, especially when accelerating.
I went to take a look at the muffler and exhaust system only to discover first that the muffler moves. I then discovered that the pipe leading from the muffler to the resonator was completely severed.
Is this an expensive repair? I’ve attached a picture below. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 242953
The pipe from the muffler is completely rusted and needs replacement. Suggest that you jack up the car and inspect the complete exhaust piping from the CAT to the muffler. Then you'll have 3 options depending on the extent of the damage.

1. If only the severed part is rusted you can get that piece welded and save cost.

2. But if the entire exhaust piping including the muffler is rusted, you then need to invest in a new CAT back system.

3. If the entire exhaust piping behind the CAT is rusted but the tail muffler is still in good shape, then changing the pipe alone would suffice and you would be saving some hard earned money.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you. How much do each of these possible repairs cost approximately?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Common place for the Civic muffler to break. Replacement is straightforward with the only difficulty getting the bolts loose in the two bolt flange. You can try soaking them in penetrating oil for a few days, but if you can't get them to budge, you will probably need to heat them up. If you don't have a torch, you may be better off just taking it to Midas or another muffler shop.

No clue on cost since it varies nationwide and from shop-to-shop. New OEM muffler from Honda is probably close to $200, so aftermarket is probably the best bet. When my son's broke in that same spot, I got one from the local U-pull salvage yard off a much newer Civic for about $15. I got lucky and the bolts came right out after soaking.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much!

Would you suggest a muffler shop or to just take it to my mechanic?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I'd call both places and ask them to quote it. Should be easy for them to quote a simple muffler replacement over the phone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ok thank you. How much do each of these possible repairs cost approximately?
Sorry for my delayed response.

Suggest that you check with an exhaust fabrication shop for the cost replacing the damaged portion. From your photos, looks like the centre muffler/resonator could've also rusted from the inside. In case both the centre and tail muffler are in good condition, then ask them to replace just the damaged pipe and it'll workout quite cheap.

In case both the mufflers are rusted and you need to replace the entire CAT back system, try for some good OEM salvaged part from a junkyard.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most auto parts shops carry both the muffler and the resonator/pipe piece that goes between the muffler and the cat, which is what I think you need based on the pictures. It's basically bolt on bolt off and isn't that difficult if the bolts aren't rusted together as someone said above. A quick search of a couple auto parts sites shows the resonator piece at ~$142, the gasket for ~$7, and the bolt set (if you need to hack the old ones off) at ~$10. If you have to take it to a shop, at least with those prices you'll know what the DIY cost is for comparison. If you decide to do it yourself, I recommend ordering online and picking up in stores because most auto parts stores offer online deals that aren't available in the store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts