8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear they got discontinued? well i found a deal for a set of 4 brand new for $270, which is really cheap!!

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
RE01-Rs are much better. Unless you can find the RE050As for dirt cheap, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A full set is definately worth it for $270. I don't think comparing them to a racing compound tire is a fair comparison at all.

Any set of performance tires for $270 is a steal. I spent $1600 on a set of FOUR RE050A-RFTs just a few months back.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
A full set is definately worth it for $270. I don't think comparing them to a racing compound tire is a fair comparison at all.
Except RE01-R isn't racing compound. Same UTQC rating, and they're actually cheaper on Tirerack. If you can get RE050 for $270 by all means get those instead, but otherwise if you're paying normal prices for RE050 then the RE01-R is a no-brainer. Similar tread wear, superior handling.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
those are two different tires for compairison, one is an all season re050a <---- all season. RE01-Rs is an R compound racing tire.... what an unfair comparison

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
RE050A wears out very fast, i know because my bro got them on his STI. They are grippy but do'nt expect them to last long. Go for the newer version RE070 which are on the new STIs

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got nearly 50k miles on my re050a-rfts on the 330i, and I drove them HARD. They were the RFT though, and I don't know if the tread compound is different.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I can vouch for the RE070's.

Some people seem to not really like the RE050A RFT. But, different people for different tastes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep. I had them on my sport package 330 and had no complaints. Good tread life, excellent grip. Maybe a little noisy and harsh riding, but the suspension was designed specifically for those RFTs. On other cars, I donno.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Heck I'd buy RE050s w/o flinching at that price.

RE070 have great grip, but IMO RE01-Rs are better tires. More forgiving dynamics, better ride quality, less noise, great grip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts