8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very confused on this matter, because everyone has diffrent methods in breaking in your new car. Well, I just wanted to know what you guys thought of this matter. And what im doing is pretty much breaking in my SI right now till I get to like around 100miles, or alittle more, and then ill let the demon out. :thumb:

I got a links on info: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=467859

Well, I just hope you guys help debate on this matter for all those SI owners! Because Im one, and I really need to know the better way, even though I think im doing fine... :driving:

:hail: :hail: :hail: I Love My CaR! :hail: :hail: :hail:

·
Registered
441 Posts
the ring lands should be good at about 80 miles. clutch about 80-120. after that u can get on it some but i mean not a frequent thing. I say a good 1200 miles of normal driving is good. change the oil around there BUT DONT USE SYNTHETIC YET! because it lubes to well and wont break it in right. I say switch to synthetic around 3000 miles. a good 1500 miles and i say its broken in pretty well..enoguh to mess around. But you gotta realize you dont have to show off, you have a new civic si that no one else really does :)..thats what i think atleast. I get honda guru's poopin themselfs when they see it. i mean they act like its a ferrari and around here its actaully more rare. car should be fine just follow that. and i recomend royal purple racing oil. awesome oil..hp gains to the wheels, last awhile and really lubes **** up!

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
First oil change shouldn't be done until after atleast 5000 mi. Synethetics shouldn't be used until after about 10,000 or third oil change. Your car will basicly tell you when it time to change the oil with the maintance light.
Take it real easy on the car for the first few thousand miles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Plenty of cars like EVOs, Corvettes, etc come factory filled with synthetic oil. I don't think it will affect break-in if you switched early. Not that I'm recommending an early oil change because I don't think it's necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
^actually I ment to say its safe to use synthetics after the 2nd oil change 10,000mi instead of the 3rd. That came from a honda mechanic when I took my car in for the first oil change, and that is what he reccomended. I put closer to 6k on mine before the maintenance light was at 10%
And your right there is No need to change the oil out early.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts