8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:hnoes: i am at about 3000 miles on my Si, is it ok to change my oil now, and is it ok to use amsoil even though it doesnt have the starbust symbol that honda reccomends all alternative oils to have on the bottles? anyone using amsoil tranny fluid? how is it. thanks!:eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
[QUOTE="Ridge"Racer]:eek:hnoes: i am at about 3000 miles on my Si, is it ok to change my oil now, and is it ok to use amsoil even though it doesnt have the starbust symbol that honda reccomends all alternative oils to have on the bottles? anyone using amsoil tranny fluid? how is it. thanks!:eek:hnoes:[/QUOTE]

Now, are you talking about engine oil or tranny fluid?

Anytime you change your engine oil, you should change it with SAE rated oils, and I can only assume that Amsoil *is* SAE rated (aka the starburst on the back of the oil container).

I myself just changed my engine oil at 3445 miles with some Royal Purple synthetic oil.

Mike

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i just trying to research and am getting a lot of biased opinions on the best, but according to class type, redline oil is the best but i have access to amsoil directly whereas i would have to order redline. and i was talking about engine oil, but my tranny, though new, is already notchy, and was wondering about a better tranny fluid

thanks,
justin

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Had my first oil change on Saturday at 4300 miles, used mobil 1, I haven't changed my trans oil though, i might do it but I really have no shifting issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
ridge racer, i can tell you from personal experience that Amsoil is the real deal. i switched to it at my 2nd oil change and my miles per gallon went from about 22-23 to 26-27 or better under mixed city/highway driving. i also have a local dealer here in the Atlanta area(sells it out of his home) im running the full synthetic 5W30 and the synchromesh tranny fluid. i had experienced the notchyness and third gear pop-out problems that many have spoken of. since switching to Amsoil, not one single problem w/3rd gear(knock-on-wood) also, the increased mpg made me a true believer in the stuff. when you go to buy, ask about the preferred customer program. for 10 dollars for 6 months, you will get a pretty good discount off of the price. i bought like 20qts just so that when my membership runs out ill still have enough to change oil 3 more times. also, with the Amsoil, my oil consumption went to virtually nothing...

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sid06si said:
ridge racer, i can tell you from personal experience that Amsoil is the real deal. i switched to it at my 2nd oil change and my miles per gallon went from about 22-23 to 26-27 or better under mixed city/highway driving. i also have a local dealer here in the Atlanta area(sells it out of his home) im running the full synthetic 5W30 and the synchromesh tranny fluid. i had experienced the notchyness and third gear pop-out problems that many have spoken of. since switching to Amsoil, not one single problem w/3rd gear(knock-on-wood) also, the increased mpg made me a true believer in the stuff. when you go to buy, ask about the preferred customer program. for 10 dollars for 6 months, you will get a pretty good discount off of the price. i bought like 20qts just so that when my membership runs out ill still have enough to change oil 3 more times. also, with the Amsoil, my oil consumption went to virtually nothing...
thanks so much for the info, i believe that my research has concluded with the fact that i will be switching to amsoil for both engine and tranny. im currently at 2800 miles on my car, can i switch now?? or do i have to leave the break in oil in longer???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why do you need to keep bumping this post? It looks like enough people are responding to it, and it isn't like it has gone days without a post to it.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'm using Amsoil oil and MTF in my Si and just the MTF in my EX. Both cars shift perfectly without any problems. My Si previously didn't have any of the tranny issues some Si owners have (grinds, 3rd gear problems), but the new MTF eliminated the notchiness my tranny did have for the first few minutes after start-up when the weather was very cold here in Ontario. I have noticed a slight increase in mileage and the car "feels" like it runs smoother.

I changed it after the break in oil period during my first oil change. Now, I still loosely follow the maintenance minder, but I wait until 0% instead of 15% because the synth lasts longer.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
<---Running AMSOIL 5W30 in engine and MTF in transmission. It's good stuff, my car will see nothing but AMSOIL for the rest of it's life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts