8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys first post here... I just oredered my civic coupe and was wondering about how to properly go about breaking the tiny 1.8L in... I've had a few cars but none of them ever brand new.. how did you guys go about it? how many KM? etc?

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
Royce said:
Hey guys first post here... I just oredered my civic coupe and was wondering about how to properly go about breaking the tiny 1.8L in... I've had a few cars but none of them ever brand new.. how did you guys go about it? how many KM? etc?
owner manual states all..every car is differnt and theres no general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just drive reasonably for the first 300-400 miles.. no checking to see how fast the car will go in 2nd gear sort of thing.

I use these guidelines for shifting:

1st gear to 2nd gear
12-17 MPH / ~4000 RPMs

2nd gear to 3rd gear
28-33 MPH / ~4000 RPMs

3rd gear to 4th gear
39-42 MPH / ~3500 RPMs

4th gear to 5th gear
~55 MPH / ~3000 RPMs

when passing another car, speed determins what gear I use to pass...

Under 55 MPH I'll drop it into 3rd to pass someone.
Over 55 MPH (Highway/Interstate speeds) I'll use 4th gear to pass.

Treat the car well and it'll love you long time :biggrin:

-Ax :thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
drive it easy the first 500 miles, don't hold it on a set rpm for over 5 minutes. this would occur on a trip were you set the cruise control on 65 and let er go. if you have to do this just speed up or down a little to vary the rpm. check your oil level, sometimes new engines burn a little oil until the rings get seated.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
black07coupe said:
REV IT HARD TO BREAK IT IN!!!! breakin it in hard results in more power :) sooooo WIND THAT SH*T UP!!! LOL
You mean drive it hard, not rev it hard right? :p
I drove mine pretty hard the first tank. Just felt like it. Nothings wrong with the car so far. 20k's, no oil burning, leaks whatever...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
truflip said:
You mean drive it hard, not rev it hard right? :p
I drove mine pretty hard the first tank. Just felt like it. Nothings wrong with the car so far. 20k's, no oil burning, leaks whatever...
ya ya w/e, wind that **** up. just dont wind it up when the engine is cold. i drove mine hard and i have no problems, cept i need to get my oil changed...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts