8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately when im coming to a stop i can hear an almost grinding sound coming from my front right break i think. But, my brakes seem to be working just fine its just i really dont like the sound and ids if my brakes are going bad or what. Any kind of help i would be grateful for. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I bought the car used with 25000 on it from a dealership. It now has 26800 And the check up on the car says 27xxx miles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think that is pulsates when i depress it. At least ive never noticed it. But the sound isnt grinding. Its not quite that rough. but if it got any worse it would probably sound like grinding.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I had a friend that had 0% on the pads and everything it changed from D to R or what ever it made a odd noise. I was thinking transmission but hello and behold the dealer said it was the pads. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I would recommend you check the brakes, or have them checked. It's very hard to diagnose a sound over the internet. Brake noise could be a lot of things, and it's difficult to narrow down based just on the noise, much less a description of the noise.

It could simply be dirt/debris causing the noise, as other's mentioned, it could be rust/corrosion on the rotor, or it could be that the pads are worn down to the wear sensor, and that is making the noise.

Brakes can make noises for lots of various reasons and still seem to work fine. The noise could be nothing, or it could be a sign of an impending problem. Unfortunately, it's really hard to say which without actually looking at them.

Are brakes something you can check yourself? If you don't want to take it somewhere but you don't know what to look for, would you be able to post some pictures of the pads and rotors?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Umm actually i have the time and the basic knowledge on how to take the wheel off and brake pads but i would be more secure at looking at a diy while doing it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
srry OP for hijacking ur thread but mine also started to do that squeaking noise when braking, and noticed that the front rotors get really fricken hot quickly, to the point that it actually burned my hand really bad when I tried touching it after a 10 min drive. so is it normal for it to get that hot?. but other than that, the brakes r working fine and there is no extra resistance while driving.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that actually exactly how mine is working. It doesnt start making the sound til after my brakes warm up a little bit.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Odd seems there's a few people who got that
idk for me it's jst some times when I break I can feel like the bumpiness or roughness when depressing on te pedal
most the times it's 100% smooth so I jut assumed it was crappy road at tomes or shot like a rock got in there when I breaked

u get that feeling as well? Or anyone else too

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mean idk. It's less the brakes feeling bumby, because they feel the same, and more of the breaks making a nasty noise.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Autozone or pep boys has a brake & calipher cleaner
I popped off my rims and sprayed the caliphers & rotors with that
seems slightly smoother
gets rid of the brake dust build up... Could be alot of build up or a pebble so u can hose it down too
let it dry before drivin tho lol wet braking is harder on ur car

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How much is the brake calipher cleaner?
I don't remeber I think somewhere around 5-7 or less cuz it's a spray can .... Shouldn't be more Than ten bucks
one can is enough
I've cleaned my brakes twice with a can ... The set of 4
i cleaned em once before just cuz it started lookin dirty n all that orange stuff from the rain was staining it ... Then I cleaned it again b4 I did my red calipers
if u want I can prolly swing by pep boys in the afternoon tomorrow but t may be quicker for u to just check n grab it eapecialy since il b workin til like 4

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ooo dont worry about going by its cool ill probably just go get it anyway to clean them. Do i need to take the tires off to do this?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ooo dont worry about going by its cool ill probably just go get it anyway to clean them. Do i need to take the tires off to do this?
u dont need to cuz its like an air can and you can go thru ur rims... i recommend you take em off tho
its better cuz u can go around the curves and make sure you get all of it
spray once and youll see all this black gunk drip off... wait for it and then spray again... you can keep spraying as many times you want until it comes out clear or cleaner... i did like 2-3 coats on my first time since it was dirty ... i only had like 3 months of dust tho (i drove alot then my first months with si tho so it was like 5k miles worth)

if it doenst solve the grinding.... then at least it at keeps your rotors clean and running smoother ... caliphers shinier too... it says keep away from painted surfaces but it wont take off caliper paint (if you used a good one)... i cleaned before putting it so now i'ma just shoot it in june once the rain stops to clean it up again ... stupid rain gets my stuff muddy and they lookin dusty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts