8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Axxis Ultimates a couple thousand miles ago. For a while they were perfectly quite, but now they squeal a lot when they are cold. The noise goes away as they warm up. I know a lot of performance pads make noise but they can be quite loud and wanted to see if this was normal. And if not, what can I do to fix it? THanks

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I can't say whether or not it is "normal" on performance pads. There are things you can do to stop it.

Did you use shims behind the pads? Shims can help. Putting silicone brake grease on the back of the pads (not the friction surface or the rotors!) can help with noise as well. If the leading and trailing edges of the pads are squared off you can chamfor (create an angle) the edges and this will help with noise as well

These pictures will help illustrate what I'm talking about.
Notice in this picture the edges are a 90 degree angle.

In this picture the pads have a angle on the edges.

This can be done to any pads with a grinder or a file and doesn't significantly impact pad life and often helps with noise.

Often a pad can get glazed from heat or oil/grease contamination. If you take the pads and slightly roughen the surface with sandpaper this can cut the glaze and help eliminate noise.

Edit: Often noise is simply caused by dust build-up. Probably the easiest thing to try is to simply spray them with brake cleaner. Good Luck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the tips. I used shims on the front or back, I don't remember, but not both. I will try cleaning them and check to see if they are glazed. Can anyone confirm if the noise is normal or not with these type of pads? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts