8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working my on my brakes trying to replace my rotors i'm i can't get the screws off that hold the rotors in place. Anyone got any clues/tips? I was thinking of getting a impact drill.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Lube the fawk out of it with PB blaster, or other equivalent rust inbibitor/lubricant the night before. Lightly tap the screws with a mallet can also loosen the rust. Don't go all out with a hammer though.

Good luck. they are a pain in the behind to remove, but possible.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried and broke the bit off in the screw. I'm traveling in chicago now, going to drop my car off at a honda place and have them get the take the screws out for me. The said is could be like a .5 to 1.0 hr. I don't want to mess it up further. As a warning to anyone with a new civic get this bolts out as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'm working my on my brakes trying to replace my rotors i'm i can't get the screws off that hold the rotors in place. Anyone got any clues/tips? I was thinking of getting a impact drill.
They're actually easy to remove as long as you have the right tools.

Spray a shot of PB Blaster on each screw and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

In order to remove them, you need a mallet and an impact screwdriver. You can find these at your local auto store (I know for a fact that O'Reilly has them) or Sears.

Another trick is to smack the face of the screw, or around the screw, with a mallet a few times before you actually try the impact screwdriver. This helps jar the screw and break away some rust which may have accumulated on the threads.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i got my impact driver from home depot for 20 bucks i think. i still ended up drilling the bastards out......all of them!! i just swapped my rotors about 2 weeks ago. home depot will have the same screws there too if you want to put them back on, i did.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried spraying some lube letting it soak and then using the impact screwdriver and got no where. While i was in chicago they started squeaking BAD!! so i said [email protected]# it and just had the dealer do it so when i got back i could just put them on. I didn't want to go through the hassle of spray, soak, try over an over or having to drill them out(done that before and its a pain in the A$$.) 60 wasn't bad so i'm happy with the finished result.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.