8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1,141 - 1,160 of 1,216 Posts
Its better the blanks rotors than the drilled / slotted?
Thanks
Holes/Slots: Sometimes, the pads can get hot enough to where they start giving of a gas. This gas gets between the pad and rotor and acts like a lubricant. The holes/slots give some place for the gas to escape. Also, the holes/slots are always scraping the pads, giving you a fresh pad surface for braking. Holes also help with cooling. Great for people with lots of money and that do serious racing where the improved braking performance is wroth the money.

Blanks: More surface contact for better friction. Cheaper. Longer lasting. Don't have the potential for forming cracks around holes. Perfect for DD and weekend warriors on a budget.

Holes/Slots: Sometimes, the pads can get hot enough to where they start giving of a gas. This gas gets between the pad and rotor and acts like a lubricant. The holes/slots give some place for the gas to escape. Also, the holes/slots are always scraping the pads, giving you a fresh pad surface for braking. Holes also help with cooling. Great for people with lots of money and that do serious racing where the improved braking performance is wroth the money.

Blanks: More surface contact for better friction. Cheaper. Longer lasting. Don't have the potential for forming cracks around holes. Perfect for DD and weekend warriors on a budget.
Thanks for you help. I think in my case go for blanks. Only i need it because the oem are crappy when you push hard your pedal. I have 27.000km in my car, i think i only have to change the brake pads only.

Thanks for you help. I think in my case go for blanks. Only i need it because the oem are crappy when you push hard your pedal. I have 27.000km in my car, i think i only have to change the brake pads only.
Hmmmmm ... You shouldn't need to change your brakes after only 27,000 Km (16k miles). I have 86,000 Km (53K miles) and I'm still on the factory installed pads and rotors. Unless you track or autocross your car a lot. If you want your pedal to be more firm, you could change the rubber lines for steel braided lines.

Also, make sure to feel the surface of the rotors. If they feel like there are a lot of little grooves on them, you are going to need to get your rotors turned.

Hmmmmm ... You shouldn't need to change your brakes after only 27,000 Km (16k miles). I have 86,000 Km (53K miles) and I'm still on the factory installed pads and rotors. Unless you track or autocross your car a lot. If you want your pedal to be more firm, you could change the rubber lines for steel braided lines.

Also, make sure to feel the surface of the rotors. If they feel like there are a lot of little grooves on them, you are going to need to get your rotors turned.
Some people said that oem brake pads are crap and changed for another brand with excelent results. Maybe i need to change only that

The GX caliper is intriguing. It's designated as 16CL15VN, which is the same as the NSX caliper. My guess is that the NSX caliper will fit on this bracket as will the larger bore Prelude and Legend calipers (17CL15VN), with no machining of the bracket needed. I don't know if anything would need to be done to keep the pistons from overextending with the thinner brake rotor.
I've now confirmed that the NSX caliper fits the Civic GX caliper bracket perfectly, and also that the 2003-2007 v6 automatic Accord sedan caliper bracket is also compatible. These caliper brackets take a pad that's about the same size as the TSX caliper - the TSX pads themselves may even work, though they're not ideal as they're shaped for a 300mm (16vn) instead of 282mm (15vn) rotor.

Aside from the bling factor, I'm not sure there's a real benefit to the NSX caliper. The caliper itself, with slide pins but no bracket, weighs 9lbs vs. 7lbs 7oz for the GX caliper with the same piston area (16CL).

My Brembo/Centric Brake Upgrade

Moose-thanks for all the info. I just replaced my rotors, pads and stainless steel lines after reading this review. I got Brembo blanks in front, Centric/StopTech in rear, EBC Greenstuff pads and StopTech SS brake hoses. I am still taking it easy on them but I am starting to feel the power behind the brakes now. I haven't come close to slamming on the brakes yet. Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel

I've been inactive for a while now but it's time for new pads. Having trouble finding the Axxis ULTs in stock anywhere. They just always out of stock or have they been discontinued? Are there other comparable options? Akebono Performance?

I haven't used any ceramic pads yet but it might be okay given I don't autox the FA5 anymore. I used Ferodo DS2500 before and loved them but they ate my rotors and didn't last very long. Using StopTech Street Performance pads now and they are okay but I miss the initial bite, power, and pedal feel of the DS2500s.

Hi,

I'm unsure if this question has been asked before: I have one of those thousand Civic Mugen Si Sedans out there. I was trying to find out if the brake pads of the traditional Si Sedan are the same fit for this special model?

(I found on another thread that the rotors and pads are different for the Mugen Si, see here: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-si/65330-official-mugen-part-s-names-list.html)

The reason I ask this is because I am looking specifically for the Hawk HP Plus Pads (front and rear) and I found in several websites (such as ebay, kingmotorsports, passwordjdm, hawkpadsdirect, etc) the part numbers as follows:

HB275N.620 and HB361N.622 (Front Pads)
HB145N.570 (Rear Pads)

Could any Mugen Si owner help on this. It seems confusing and I wouldn't want the hassle of ordering the wrong part. Also if anyone clarifies on the compatibility, I could more easily search for pads for the Si Sedan and problem solved.

Thanks!

P.S. I have tried searching on 8th civic but found nothing in particular. If someone could point me out to specific threads or know anything about this I would greatly appreciate it.

Intimates? I didn't know they were making those kind of "pads" now. hahaha

In any case, I tried to get a set of the Ultimates last year and I was unable to find any. I ended up calling brakewarehouse and the guy there was pretty knowledgeable. He said there was some sort of transition going on with the parent company and was not sure if they were going to continue making brake pads anymore or if they were just going to discontinue being available in the US. I believe they are an Australian company.

I actually managed to place an order through either vividracing but they called me and cancelled it. Some websites still list stock but don't have the pads.

They were awesome though. One of the best pads Ive used. You could try calling around but I don't think anyone has them anymore.

I had these saved as places still listing them that I called last year. Might be worth a try.

BrakeCo: (these guys are your best bet)
877-525-5233

vivid racing:

ImportRP:

The other option is to change to a similar brake pad. The closest thing I could find in terms of friction coefficient and temp range is the Project Mu pads.

AXXIS Ultimates:

Coefficient of friction of 0.46
Operating temperature of 0-932 F.

Project Mu B-Force Sports or B-Spec as they are sometimes listed:

Friction Coefficient 0.32~0.45μ
Applicable Rotor Temperature 0~500℃ which is exactly the same as the AXXIS Ults. 0-932F.

I will say the initial bite is not as hard as the AXXIS pads but they also don't need a few seconds to warm up and bite when its cold out. They Mu pads also seem to work better in the wet. I could definitely feel the AXXIS pads dry out and grab when it was raining. I have not had that sensation with the Mu's. I would prefer the AXXIS if I could find them but the Mu have been just as good and are way less dusty. If you've run the AXXIs before you know what I mean. The Mu are pretty darn clean.

RIP, I wish they started the intimates line, but unfortunately it was just a typo/autocorrect. Maybe one day...

I've called all the numbers you've listed and then some, nothing. Vivid is purposely not taking those pads off their site, marketing gimmick.

I've been told that the stop tech and centric posi quiet is as close as I'll get, but then again, someone also said hawk hps was a comparable pad.

I'm still able to find some PBR deluxe, not sure if those are the same as Axxis deluxe or not.

I guess the quest continues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

HAHHAHA!

I wish they still made these. They were awesome.

Seriously though...Try the Project Mu B-Force Sports if you can find them. They are almost an identical pad to the AXXIS Ult.

EDIT: In all seriousness PM me and let me know what you try and how you like it/how it compare to the Ults.

DOUBLE EDIT: I've tried the Hawk HPS. I didn't think it was anywhere close the axxis or the Mu pds

1,141 - 1,160 of 1,216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.