8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my front caliper was seized and I replaced it. It was supposed to be an easy job but I forgot to check the master cylinder when I was bleeding them. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ . Now my brake pedal is spongy and goes all the way down to brake at all. I've tried bleeding the brakes again and again but it's still the same. You guys got any advice for me? do I have to bench bleed the master cylinder now? HELPPPP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could have air in the ABS module which can only be bled by a professional with the proper equipment.
is there any way I could tell if it's there is air in the abs? so when I press the brake, there is like a weird sound that comes from the hose going to the brake booster. At the same time, there is a hissing sound coming from the master cylinder. (not like a leak hissing but just the sound)

·
Registered
840 Posts
1. Remove the master cylinder and bench bleed it, then bleed all 4 lines. Be aware if your bleeder valves are looking mean with rust on them (assuming they don't since you said you were bleeding the system), they are prone to snapping and are near impossible to remove the remaining screw.

After you bench bleed, it's recommended to have a helper step on the brake pedal when bleeding. The order goes FL, FR, RR, RL. Source: 2006-2008 Honda Civic Repair Manual (I'll leave a picture). I'm pretty sure this route will work for 2009-2011 as well.

2. If that doesn't fix it, bleed all the lines then (somewhere safe), go to a good speed then slam the brakes all the way. This way, the ABS activates thus removing all the air bubbles from the ABS system. This is what i've heard and it has worked for some people. Some claim that a slippery surface is better for triggering the ABS system.

If none of this works, its either the master cylinder is claimed ruined due to fact that air got into the seals, or that it's impossible to get all the air out without special tools - making the last route going to the Honda dealership to seek professional repair.

Quick check to make sure the Master Cylinder isn't ruined: Press the brake pedal and hold it to see if the pedal goes lower by waiting a minute or so. If it goes down slowly, then the master cylinder is ruined.

·
Registered
109 Posts
so my front caliper was seized and I replaced it. It was supposed to be an easy job but I forgot to check the master cylinder when I was bleeding them. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ . Now my brake pedal is spongy and goes all the way down to brake at all. I've tried bleeding the brakes again and again but it's still the same. You guys got any advice for me? do I have to bench bleed the master cylinder now? HELPPPP
Might need to replace your master cylinder if it went dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts