8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Honda civic hybrid. The "Brake" light comes on the dash and there is a warning beep each time I press on the brake. The "Brake" light comes on every single time, but the warning beep only happens when I'm in drive and moving.

I've seen this problem posted an a few forums but the solution is never posted. It's always, "I took it to honda and they replaced some parts." I think its the brake master cylinder, but I want to make sure thats what it is before I order the parts.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This might be a shot in the dark but have you checked to see if your handbrake is applied?

I have a manual transmission and once in a while I will take off with the hand brake applied. There is a light on the dash and a chime to let you know you are taking off with the handbrake applied.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a manual transmission and once in a while I will take off with the hand brake applied. There is a light on the dash and a chime to let you know you are taking off with the handbrake applied.
:word: ......and even the slightest rise in the handle will activate the light & beeper.

·
Registered
607 Posts
it comes on when he is braking so it would be the fluid level indicator light.

either the brakes havent been serviced in a while and your fluid level is dropping when you apply force to worn pads/drums or there is a leak causing low level as you apply brakes. i would get this fixed and off the road asap if you cant fix it right now. when that light comes on air can sometimes be forced into the system, causing no brakes

the light comes on when either:

ebrake on
fluid level drops below sensor level

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The parking brake is not on and the switch there is working fine. If the parking brake is on the warning beep continues until the brake is disengaged.

I checked the brake fluid level and it is at the max line. I went ahead and bled all four brakes and still the beep and light come on.

It's either the switch or float in the brake master cylinder. Is there any way to determine which one or do I just need to replace the whole part?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fluid level is still at the max line when the brakes are applied.

I couldn't find the brake fluid sensor, but I did find the brake fluid reservoir that has the sensor in it online for $38. It is on it's way. I'll let you know if it fixes my issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Civic 2008 Hybrid car Beep issue

you guys still have this issue
Hi Guys,

I am facing the same issue now, Mine is Honda Civic 2008 Hybrid car(107000 miles).

First Stage:
1. I started observing Beep while applying break
2. I took this car to "Precision Tune Auto Care" and did the service, he was unable to fix the issue and didn't identify the cause
3. The beep frequency got increased after a month

Second Stage:
1. When applied the breaks vehicle is taking bit time to stop (Which is bit scary)

For now, I stopped driving the vehicle. Please share your valuable suggestions to fix the issue.
I live in sunnyvale, California. (Please suggest some service centers if possible)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
you guys still have this issue
I have the same car (2008 Honda Civic Hybrid) and I am having the same problem. The dealer and two other mechanics have not been able to fix it. (one changed the master cylinder and replaced front brakes, the other adjusted rear brake shoes). Could it be a glitch in these particular cars and Honda is not doing a recall? My mechanic checked everything and said it is completely safe to drive. Did anyone else have success getting the light and the beeping to stop?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone find a solution to the beeping & light flashing? Mines does the same thing only it seems to brake hard when it beeps

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has this issue and we are currently working at getting this resolved as the beeping has become unbearable. It beeps every time she applies the breaks!!

This was posted on another thread and might be the solution everyone here is looking for...

"As a Used Car Dealer in southern CA we buy lot of Honda Civic Hybrids. We recently experienced the Brake warning light and beeping with one of our 2009 hybrids. Surprising enough we never seen this problem before and neither Local Honda dealership. As we investigated further we realized the problem is with Honda Accumulator gas canister part number 57019-SNC-A02. After while sometimes this canister looses pressure which causes the brake light and beeping. My mechanic replaced the defective one and immediately the light and beep GONE))…So this process cost me total $240)…parts and labor. Don’t bother with Honda dealerships."

And here is some further research from another thread....

"Most hybrids like your honda use a brake by wire type of system, due to the regenerative braking system that the hybrid allows for. This involves a computer, pump and pressure accumulator to apply the service hydraulic brakes as needed along with regen braking to make it stop like a normal car. When the pump and acumulator can no longer supply enough pressure assistance for braking, the loud beeping tone comes on to warn you that braking power will be reduced. So it's very likely your brake pump/accumulator assembly is just starting to fail and is not able to provide enough pressure on hard braking events. Will normally set codes in the abs control module. As it occurs more often codes will surely be set.

And some more information from another thread...

Being that it is a hybrid and the light only comes on when the brake pedal is used. I've seen this a few times. It's usually related to the high pressure accumulator being defective. Small black globe looking thing mounted towards the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. It's filled with a high pressure Gas. These usually lose pressure and cause this issue. No codes will store. And there is no diagnostic procedure you can go through. It's basically, if you have this symptom replace this parT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has this issue and we are currently working at getting this resolved as the beeping has become unbearable. It beeps every time she applies the breaks!!

This was posted on another thread and might be the solution everyone here is looking for...

"As a Used Car Dealer in southern CA we buy lot of Honda Civic Hybrids. We recently experienced the Brake warning light and beeping with one of our 2009 hybrids. Surprising enough we never seen this problem before and neither Local Honda dealership. As we investigated further we realized the problem is with Honda Accumulator gas canister part number 57019-SNC-A02. After while sometimes this canister looses pressure which causes the brake light and beeping. My mechanic replaced the defective one and immediately the light and beep GONE))…So this process cost me total $240)…parts and labor. Don’t bother with Honda dealerships."

And here is some further research from another thread....

"Most hybrids like your honda use a brake by wire type of system, due to the regenerative braking system that the hybrid allows for. This involves a computer, pump and pressure accumulator to apply the service hydraulic brakes as needed along with regen braking to make it stop like a normal car. When the pump and acumulator can no longer supply enough pressure assistance for braking, the loud beeping tone comes on to warn you that braking power will be reduced. So it's very likely your brake pump/accumulator assembly is just starting to fail and is not able to provide enough pressure on hard braking events. Will normally set codes in the abs control module. As it occurs more often codes will surely be set.

And some more information from another thread...

Being that it is a hybrid and the light only comes on when the brake pedal is used. I've seen this a few times. It's usually related to the high pressure accumulator being defective. Small black globe looking thing mounted towards the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. It's filled with a high pressure Gas. These usually lose pressure and cause this issue. No codes will store. And there is no diagnostic procedure you can go through. It's basically, if you have this symptom replace this parT.
Thank you ZacG, this info is very useful

1 - 15 of 15 Posts