8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I recently bought a 2008 honda civic si fg2. The only issue with it was the knock sensor and the rear brakes needed rotors and pads. As I was doing the job I broke off the caliper bracket bolt and I'm kind of stuck - I've probably done 4 brake jobs and never run into something like this, I was using my breaker bar and it went from hella resistance to just twisting off within a few seconds.

I'm unsure of how to proceed, at this point I can't get the caliper back together, nor can I take the caliper bracket off. There really isn't a ton of space to get drill back there to try the left handed drill bit thing - should I try and take the knuckle off? You don't want to know what honda quoted me :( Super bummed since I just bought the car and I've already screwed it up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have access to a welder? I've welded nuts onto snapped bolts. Place the nut on the exposed bolt, fill the nut with your weld pool. The nut will glow red and the heat usually loosens to stuck bolt. Have a wrench ready to go. If not take the whole knuckle assembly to a machine shop they prbly get it out for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi - I recently bought a 2008 honda civic si fg2. The only issue with it was the knock sensor and the rear brakes needed rotors and pads. As I was doing the job I broke off the caliper bracket bolt and I'm kind of stuck - I've probably done 4 brake jobs and never run into something like this, I was using my breaker bar and it went from hella resistance to just twisting off within a few seconds.

I'm unsure of how to proceed, at this point I can't get the caliper back together, nor can I take the caliper bracket off. There really isn't a ton of space to get drill back there to try the left handed drill bit thing - should I try and take the knuckle off? You don't want to know what honda quoted me :( Super bummed since I just bought the car and I've already screwed it up.
Is there any way you can share a picture with us here?🤔

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just broke down and called a mobile mechanic. He did it so fast, so apparently the knuckle piece isn't threaded, so we undid the top caliper bracket bolt and then were able to wiggle it free - then use an easy out.

·
Registered
08 Honda Civic ex coupe
14 Posts

[did you figure it out, I’m happy to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts