8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been hearing a ton of noise from the brakes on my honda civic 2010 LX since my last visit at the car wash last week, I took 2 videos to show you the rust (I coudn't take the rims off since I don't have a torque wrench to do the unbolting properly), but you can still see how bad it looks. I also took a video of me driving and after exactly 7 seconds I hit the brakes and you will hear the grinding noise.

Since I'm still a rookie what kind of repairing are we looking at ? Switching rotors, brake pads, and calipers ? How much would it cost ?

I'd love to do the repair myself but I don't have the right tools, not sure if the cost of everything will be worth doing the repair myself.

Thanks in advance guys !

·
Registered
111 Posts
From the video, the cause of noise seems to be because of dirt and muck accumulating between the pads and rotors. During car wash, when the tyre well is washed, the dirt and mud accumulated there spills on to the rotors and pads an they too should be washed properly. Rust on the rotors is common during the rains and after a wash and it gets cleared immediately after the first time you brake.

Suggest that pressure washing the rotors and pads alone should clear the issue generally. If not remove the brake pads and clean them manually.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the video, the cause of noise seems to be because of dirt and muck accumulating between the pads and rotors. During car wash, when the tyre well is washed, the dirt and mud accumulated there spills on to the rotors and pads an they too should be washed properly. Rust on the rotors is common during the rains and after a wash and it gets cleared immediately after the first time you brake.

Suggest that pressure washing the rotors and pads alone should clear the issue generally. If not remove the brake pads and clean them manually.

thanks for the quick reply man,

I should visit another car wash and ask them to specifically pressure wash the tires and wheels ? Or do I need to take the wheel apart and then wash the components ? Usually it's like you said I'll hear some noise a few minutes after my car got washed, and then it's back to normal after driving around a bit, but this time it's almost a week and I'm still hearing the noise.

Thanks again man

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's hard to tell from the video. It's best to take the wheel off and inspect everything closely. Might need new pads and possibly rotors. Calipers should be fine.

BTW, those tires look bad!

·
Registered
111 Posts
thanks for the quick reply man,

I should visit another car wash and ask them to specifically pressure wash the tires and wheels ? Or do I need to take the wheel apart and then wash the components ? Usually it's like you said I'll hear some noise a few minutes after my car got washed, and then it's back to normal after driving around a bit, but this time it's almost a week and I'm still hearing the noise.

Thanks again man
It would be better to remove the wheels and clean the rotors and calipers.

I would also like to suggest that you check the wheel bearings. Put the car on a jack / lift and check all wheels for any shake or noise while rotating them hard with your hand. But most of the times if the wheel bearing is the culprit, then you can hear the noise all the time while driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Completely agree with everyone, also, those tires seem pretty “dry rotted” might think about picking up a few new tires as well. You will be amazed at how the car drives after new rubber!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts