8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking about the body kit, I really like the front lip. However I was wondering, would something like that interfere with the aero strakes. It seems to me that they would be at the same level so not as much air would be directed across the rotor. Whatcha think?

Actually, for that matter would the body kit effect the aerodynamics of the car? Improve it? Create Drag? No effect at all?

And no flaming if these are stupid questions. :box: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think if there were any improvements it would not be noticed until higher speeds are reached. As to what kind of issues would occur at these high speeds, who knows

·
Registered
662 Posts
Englishe30 said:
I think if there were any improvements it would not be noticed until higher speeds are reached. As to what kind of issues would occur at these high speeds, who knows

at 88mph my car takes me into the future :wavey:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was designed with only aesthetics in mind that just makes me think they should take the P out of the HFP.

Plus I still can't help but wonder if the lip kit would block the aero strakes from directing air towards the brakes. That little hole that's cut out of the strake is exposed to air, I believe once the lip is on the hole will now be "blocked"

Meh..what do I know.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
tommyroo said:
If it was designed with only aesthetics in mind that just makes me think they should take the P out of the HFP.

Plus I still can't help but wonder if the lip kit would block the aero strakes from directing air towards the brakes. That little hole that's cut out of the strake is exposed to air, I believe once the lip is on the hole will now be "blocked"

Meh..what do I know.
Think about air as a fluid. All that matters is that a high-pressure zone exists in front of that ducting. Even if it's partially blocked, which I don't really think it is, it's not the end of the world. While the kinetic energy of air hitting the duct would force some into the wheel well, the most important thing is that there is a low pressure zone in the wheel well and a high pressure zone in front of the duct. I believe that would still exist.

As for taking the P out of HFP, what about the HFP sideskirts helps performance? How about that cat-back; how many ponies does that free up? I doubt the HFP suspension is much to speak of on the track compared to a properly set up driving school/street setup. I don't think P was every really the focus of HFP.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i have pretty severe doubts that the brake cooling "ducting" is really doing much of anything at all, regardless of the hfp lip kit.

take a look at any race car's brake cooling setup. air is specifically routed into the hub of the rotor so that the fresh air is then circulated through the internal vanes which then keeps the temp.'s down.

- nonchalantly wafting air in the general direction of the brakes is not going to provide much, if any, cooling assistance.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys. I just wanted to make sure nothing I did effected performance negatively. For example, I really wanted 18 or 19 inch wheels but I just couldn't bring myself to do something that would make my car slower, even if it was just .01 seconds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts