8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today i tried to register my car in MD, passed state inspection with flying colors...so i roll up to the dmv thinking im good to go..then while at the teller she tells me the total fee for my registration...$789.75...$591.75 in taxes, $50 title fee, $20 lien fee(cuz bank has lien), and $120 for tags...:SHOCKED: dear god i almost fainted...so now im bummed..now i gotta figure out what to do..get my MD or stay with my VA plates?? What are your opinions my fellow 8th gens..

·
Registered
534 Posts
DONT keep your VA tags, my roomate did on his car and got a fine for it when he got pulled over for not signaling to turn or some BS

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
to be honest, since the assessment is a one time fee resulting from the difference between MD sales tax and VA sales tax, pay it and deal with it.

at least you won't have to pay property tax on it.

·
BootyLuvr
23,368 Posts
Sucks about the taxes! :eek:

And to the guy who said Maryland Cops don't play... They will give you a ticket for stupid **** if you make them aware of it.

Example: loud ass exhaust even @ idle
5% limo tint all the way around
speeding all the time

·
Registered
580 Posts
I know what u mean. I moved here from FL and i had the same choice to make.

I chose not to pay ridiculous sales tax to register my car, which at the time i had my 98 eclipse spyder and they were trying to charge me a lot for taxes...which i already paid when i bought my car in FL.

Thankfully i was able to get by w/o any hassles from the cops for almost 2 yrs...then i got my FG2 and no more worries. My eclipse had 5% limo tint, dropped, rims, cleared front markers and I didnt get any tickets anything.

I got pulled over this one time for my tints but the cop saw that I had out of state tags and he let me slide.

I took the chance of driving w/ out of state tags because I planned on getting a DC5 w/ in a few months of moving here, but I decided to wait for financial reasons.

If you plan on being here for a while and keeping your car for the forseable future then I'd say the best thing to do is pay the taxes. If not, then you can takes your chances and not register in MD. Just make sure to be an extra safe driver if you decide not to switch to MD tags.

MD has a lot of VA commuters so its not like you'll be standing out that much if at all. Now if you had a tag from say Colorado or something then it would be more obvious.

Best of luck w/ whatever you choose and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well how much was the car? If it was 20K then what are you crying about?
im not cryin im just in shock that they tax 6% of the value of the car...thanks for everyones input...ima get my MD tags when i have the money..cause i dont even get 790 a paycheck..:hyper:..i should have my si back on the streets in 2 weeks..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well today i tried to register my car in MD, passed state inspection with flying colors...so i roll up to the dmv thinking im good to go..then while at the teller she tells me the total fee for my registration...$789.75...$591.75 in taxes, $50 title fee, $20 lien fee(cuz bank has lien), and $120 for tags...:SHOCKED: dear god i almost fainted...so now im bummed..now i gotta figure out what to do..get my MD or stay with my VA plates?? What are your opinions my fellow 8th gens..
are you talking about a new car, and if so did u not pay taxs at the dealer.

ttl

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
If you have family in VA put them on the title. etc.... and use there addy after asking that is. Thats what I did when I moved to PA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts