8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Filtermag to use the next time I change my oil. The magnets on this thing are extremely strong. I have been unable to remove it from an old Honda OEM filter that I had laying around without having to slide it off. I can't wait to see how much metal it can pull out of the oil. Anyone ever use a Filtermag on a late model LX or Si?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nope, but can't wait for your results.
:yeahthat: Am also curious.

On a side note, I've been thinking of using neodymium magnets from old hard disks to be used as filtermags. It's just a question of how to fit it securely without it falling off on the first bump.

Btw, these mags are powerful and can pinch your fingers or skin if you're not careful on where or how you stick them.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
:yeahthat: Am also curious.

On a side note, I've been thinking of using neodymium magnets from old hard disks to be used as filtermags. It's just a question of how to fit it securely without it falling off on the first bump.

Btw, these mags are powerful and can pinch your fingers or skin if you're not careful on where or how you stick them.
sticking a few to the outside of your filter will do the trick... the metal will cling to the filter wall...

Earth magnets are the SHIZNIT!!! i have a few like 100, i tore apart any HDD that i could get my hands on...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Civic block is aluminum...right? if that's true, it's not going to catch any shavings from the block (aluminum is not magnetic)...but who knows what those super strong magnets can do.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Civic block is aluminum...right? if that's true, it's not going to catch any shavings from the block (aluminum is not magnetic)...but who knows what those super strong magnets can do.
You do have a point. Been thinking about work too much...

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
The piston walls should be lined with another metal. Camshaft, rod bearings, and other bearings is the source of metal wear.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pictures of cut open oil filters on the Filtermag site look like this thing will pull a lot of metal out of the oil. Some would have been caught in the oil filter anyway, but the sub-micron stuff would most likely have passed through the oil filter over and over again. I realize that any aluminum particles will not be attracted to the Filtermag, but there are other components inside the engine that do generate magnetic particles. Anyway, the results are months away but I will update this post when I find out what happens.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The piston walls should be lined with another metal. Camshaft, rod bearings, and other bearings is the source of metal wear.
ryker is right. the point of the oil pan mag or filter mag is to give you some fair warning about bearing wear and wall/ring damage before its too late. i love the things and have used them religiously on my turbo motors. they are worth every cent for the heads-up they offer.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
old thread but meh.

anyone else running a filter mag. thinking about getting a filter mag and some mag drain bolts.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Don't have the Filtermag, but I did use a magnet from an old hard drive. Just recently changed my oil, don't see any shavings.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Where did you place the magnet and how big are the magnets?

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
< - Using one (RA250) FilterMAG - - SummitRacing.com

as well as mag. trans/crankcase bolts.

The actual benefit of this may very well be 'snake oil', but for some reason, I use em anyhow. Couldn't even intelligently justify using em if I tried.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts