8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of going to Boston for school, either Boston U. or Northeastern U. Is bringing my "future FD2 conversion" there practical? What should I expect, and how is the so-called tuning 'scene' over there? Tips about shops or what not would be good too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My ex went to BU, and let me tell you from personal experience; if you can live without having your car there, then do it. Parking is a HUGE pain in the ass and costs an arm and a leg, traffic is stupid there especially around the schools not to mention BU and Northeastern are right by Fenway and when they have a home game, forget about finding any parking anywhere.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yup, driving and parking in and around Boston does suck. Although you're limited without a car, as far as leaving the city goes, I would not want to own a car in Boston.
Plus the roads suck, constant construction etc....

·
Registered
429 Posts
summers are koo. but during school season. just take a picture of your car with you man. you would be freaking out to how close they park to your car.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
not worth it at all, you can take the train anywhere you need to go. parking is horrible, people hit cars parallel parked and dont care, you need to move your car for street sweepers constantly. you'll just continuously be worrying about the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seriously if you go to school at NEU/BU, you really don't need a car if you live by the school area. However the rent is what you pay for convenience and the living environment is not what you expect for the pricy rent. Most of the buildings are old. Therefore, If you want to bring your car with you, I would recommend you to live away the city and park at the school parking(again extra $$). Street parking, snow emergency, street cleaning are all pain in the neck not even mention the scretches you would get. Here are the 2 apartments my friends who drive to school daily are staying:

Archstone Watertown Square in Watertown at Archstone Apartments

Boston Apartments - Harbor Point Apartments

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I would be dorming though... Would there be anyplace I could just park my car during the winter season, I actually plan on riding my bicycle around town.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
NEU's campus has an awesome environment, you'll love boston. and honestly, the import scene over here from what ive experienced, isnt as nice as it looks like it is in california. mostly hatchbacks and integras with loud muffler tips.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
snow ftl.
Blasphemy!! :readtherules:

Winter > Summer

As many other have stated.... having a car while living the dorm life in Boston is not a wise choice. I love Boston... but driving in the city is a PITA. When I go into the city to visit my brothers (who both go to NEU right now), I just come in and park on NEU campus where its free and then walk/take the 'T' around wherever i need to go.

As for the 'scene' i would say its non-existent.

Also be aware of this... if you have the car. People will constantly be begging you to borrow it or have you drive them places. It gets obnoxious.... being 'that guy' that has a car at college isnt worth the hassle.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You could always take the expense and put your car in storage...lol I mean if you were THAT adamant about taking a car, but the T will take you everywhere and anywhere you want to go. Im not sure is there restrictions on students with cars on campus for freshmen maybe? I cant imagine you would leave the city much anyways since were all studious students on the ocho (LMFAO I cant say that with a straight face). Boston is a nice place, and yes the import scene sucks ass IMO, rust bucket ricers with fart cans and potato launchers. That sir is my $0.02.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Anyone ride bikes? Like motorcycles ahah
If youre talknig about bringing a motorcycle i'd advise against that as well.

School months are September thru May ... i dont know if youve ever been to boston, or new england before... but once mid october rolls around (maybe even earlier) it starts to get rather crappy from a weather standpoint.

the crappy weather holds steady right on through to mid-late april.

So... youll have 2 months... 3 if youre lucky of remotely decent bike riding weather. Hardly worth the effort of bringing a bike all the way from Cali, IMO.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Don't bring ur car to boston. You'll regret it. I never take my car to Boston if I don't HAVE to. The T is your best friend around here. The traffic is annoying as hell. People park really close to you, they'll probably even bump your bumper just to fit in a parking spot. Thats just Boston. Lol imagine your car getting flipped if the red sox wins it again.. about matt cassell.....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hey man just to let u know i go to wentworth which is right next to NEU and u can pay for a parking permit pass for the semester but im not sure if it is really worth it. u can park in the street like my friend who has a rsx and hes from cali too but its a hassle. u can find parking if u park at parker st. there is no street cleaning there but i dont really trust it haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
17 Participants
00celica
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing