8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo I was driving on the streets today & switching from 1st to 2nd I heard a bolt come out. I quickly ran to get it. I looked to see if it came from one of the engine mounts nothing. I need help I have no clue where it came from but it was loud. I did notice my car was louder once that happened but car ran the same. I checked for an exhaust leak & nothing sooo maybe too much power lol jk fully stock with an axel back exhaust/res delete , HONDATA tune & injen Intake. Keep in mind this is a R18 not Si(Ik I should’ve got an Si but didn’t really have a choice)

·
Registered
30 Posts
You better hope you can see some threads sticking out of the transmission to bite into to back that out. It will be very difficult to get out. You'll have to probably pull your CV axle to get a better handle on if so. If it snapped flush with the bell housing and has to be drilled out. Damn. You may have to pull the motor and tranny then.

The starters are these cars are in the most ridiculous spot I've seen in awhile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
20200927_103845.jpg

You can see the starter tucked under the intake manifold. The bolt is that top one you cant see in my pic and

Removing the intake manifold you may be able to work on getting out.

Sorry man but I hope someone can help you with that cause that isnt going to be easy to get a broken bolt out in and awkward place that it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how does this happen it, I was driving you to say it was connected to my trans?? should I be concerned about blowing that? I have 820000 in the car. it is an auto trans not manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
820,000 miles?! Or 82 000?!

Yes the starter bolts to the transmission bell housing. You wont blow your transmission. Had someone replaced the starter? If so the bolt wasnt torqued to proper spec. I'm not sure how that snapped. But maybe will changing gears the torque converter jolted the starter.

Jack up your car on jack stands and see if the starter is loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
82000 lol and yes I had to replace my starter this summer. When they replaced it I went in for an oil change and my car wouldn't start after I went and did that, I was v upset having to pay for a new start on-spot. (big O tires is a scam). so yes someone obviously over toured that screw I gotta jack my car up later today and see if the starter is loose if it is best believe a storm is coming to big O tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They're ya go. One more reason I've thought myself to wrench. People dont care about your stuff.

Loose or not loose they torqued that bolt wrong and caused it to fail.

Get on them immediately. That maybe a massive job, if that bolt has to be drilled out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will do yeah they ruined my experience I haven't been back to them. I started doing my own since they messed up my stock starter. thanks for the help ill keep this updated see what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’d definitely take it back where ever you got the starter replaced and demand them fix it. They wont be too happy lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would most definitely NOT have someplace like Big O Tires fix that bolt. They won’t know what they are doing and could destroy your car. I would take that to a reputable mechanic or a Honda Dealer and have them fix it while documenting what is done wrong. Then take that info back to get some type of refund. My friend had his car destroyed by Jiffy Lube. They did an oil change and didn’t tighten the drain plug. The oil leaked out over time and the engine seized. He had 300K miles on his car and it was meticulous. How would he ever get that intrinsic value back? Don’t risk ruining your car by going to the wrong people to fix it. Some of these quick change oil places will hire anyone with a pulse. Don’t expect them to understand this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the book says 33 ft. lbs . for the longer (sheared off ) bolt. the other short bolt is 47 ft. lbs. I can see how a untrained mechanic could overtorque the long bolt as it would wind up like a torsion bar. you can buy click torque wrenches for $10 from harbor freight that are within 4%, I don't know how people can work without one- I am too old (&lazy) to crawl under cars now & I have to worry that the guy at the dealer will tighten the drain plug correctly or insult him by even asking so it vibrates out or it eventually strips !! so easy to torque & NO problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm still waiting to see what the results are of the OP dealing with that problem. The start motor is difficult to access and if it needs to be drilled out... then I'm betting the motor and trans will have to pulled and intake manifold removed. And whatever Big O is... if they screwed that up, there's no way that place is capable of rectifying that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update* have still been driving the civic, I called the Honda dealership they asked if I needed the new part & they recommended an inspection. I was hesitant to bring my car in because of mods done to the car. I plan on bringing it in early next month, I've had my trouble with the law in the civic having too much fun listing to the crack pop tune so I'm going to let it chill until November. keep in mind I live in California. but will update with this problem. I refuse to bring it back to one of those random shops (Big O tires -they do tires oil changes, etc.) but ya bringing it to the dealership to get inspected, and hopefully they can resolve this starter bolt problem for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts