8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bolt broke off on the inside Help!!!

So i was taking off my old sway bar and upgrading to the si one, when i went to take off the brackets, one of the washers on the inside that was welded on broke off. So now i have a free spinning bold, i cant get to the other side since its all sealed off. Heres a crudely drawn picture of my problem

I thought about just cutting the head of the bolt off, but that would leave me with a bolt loose on the inside and rattling every time i hit the brakes.
Does anyone know how to get this bolt out?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks!

Edit: In the picture i meant to say nut, not washer

·
Registered
727 Posts
cut it off...or stick something in between the bolt head and frame and try to take it off if not just cut it off or blow torch it off. Once its off your gonna have to make use a bolr with washer to catch the inside of the frame to tighten with a nut

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, i ended up cutting the head of the bolt off. I then shot a lot of that foam insulation into the holes so that the nut wouldn't rattle and be loose. To secure the bracket i tapped a 1/2' hole and put a 1/2' bolt and torqued it to 29 lbf·ft :woowoo:

·
Registered
896 Posts
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Today I attempted to replace the L shape bracket bolts for the rear sway bar since I felt like the old hardware was too crusty and didn't give me confidence when turning. I had to tap/clean the threads before installing the new bolts so after that was done, I was able to get 3 of the 4 bolts installed (using Honda hardware) and ofc since i'm in the rustbelt where everything breaks, the captive nut for the circled bolt broke resulting in a spinning bolt because I couldn't tap it 100% (lower trailing arm was in the way)

I have the upgraded Si rear sway bar on my EX Sedan put on by me and because of the one bolt that broke loose, the good bolt which is torqued down will now have more stress put on which can result in that bolt shearing off so I decided to remove the sway bar completely in order to drive it safely. It drives like a DX now with no rear bar on 🙄

The L shape bracket will probably be welded or something - not sure on what to do. It's definitely going to the shop but i'm not sure if there is enough sheetmetal to tap new threads w/o the captive bolt but who knows what the dealer will do 🤷🏽
Eye Automotive tire Grey Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
896 Posts
That is one thing people forget - anytime something is taken apart, that just invites other problems to possibly surface.
Doesn't even matter what is being torn into. Car, computer, house project, someone's psyche...
My mistake will cost me a lot of $$$$. After hours of thinking, I decided the best option would be to take it to the body shop so they can weld the bracket together. All because I wanted to replace some bolts :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts