8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up guys. Noticed the other day my fender was not sitting flush with the passenger side door. The lower piece was actually sticking out, and I could push it in a few inches. Look underneath there's a small dent under the rocker like a small stone hit it, pebble size. Also the rust proofing is cracked.
Bring it to the dealership they say it wont be covered under warranty. How can they prove it was road debris? I don't recall hitting anything significant enough to do that type of damage, nor do I think a small dent the size of a pebble caused it. Does that sound right to you guys?
Also, I am sure you have read my posts about my issues I have with 2nd gear when the trans is cold. I have been to the dealer numerous times about this issue but always met with the "could not replicate the problem, everything's fine" line. The car is actually going to be driven in the morning when the trans is nice and cold. If I hear that line again I have had it with this car. How does the lemon law work with a case like mine? Do they need to replicate the issue in order for it to work?

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
dealer wont cover this.
chances are it is road debris or a shop putting the car on teh lift adn slightly missing teh proper jack points.
jsut cause you dont remember it happening (or know whenit happened), doesnt make it hondas problem.

google lemon law.
every state is different. but chances are your tranny problem does not qualify for lemon law.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The area under the door is real thin the rocker will dent easy . I damaged mine just trying to tap some snow off my shoes

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I can see the warranty issue, but not the trans? I have a little research to do, but I thought this is what the lemon law was for. I just received a call earlier saying they could not find the problem again. I have seriously had it with this car. It's too bad because when it's warmed up I love it. 2nd gear is Honda's fault, why should I be left with a 20K bag of ****?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Paint is the most difficult thing to prove. But I have to admit the stock paintjob on our cars seems very poorly done, like single coat because it does scratch fairly easy compared to other vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
347 Posts
for your trans issue drop the car off the night before so its over night cold and arrange to take the tech out for the test drive. Make sure you show up early so there is no chance of them taking it out before you get there. You know what it takes to make it fail so drive the car that way. You might even want to take the service manager out for the test ride. Good luck its been to warm here the past few months to reproduce the problem with mine I know it will be back in the fall. So let me know if they find anything. My guess is they are going to continue to claim no problem found until Honda gets some kind of TSB on it

·
Registered
954 Posts
Paint is the most difficult thing to prove. But I have to admit the stock paintjob on our cars seems very poorly done, like single coat because it does scratch fairly easy compared to other vehicles I've owned.
yup. the only thing they may cover paint related is if things like the paint starts to peel or discolor. once you get it off the lot, dents, dings, scratches, etc are not their problem. as for things like misaligned panels, you gotta prove that something was defective from the factory - good luck.

don't get me started on the paint and sheetmetal quality....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Instructor, dropped the car off twice so far at two different dealerships to have them test drive it in the "morning". Both times I was met with the "shifts fine" line. Next time I will have to meet them in the morning for the drive.
Same here, weather has been warm the past few days and have noticed the car shifts fine even when cold with the warmer weather. The last time conditions were cool enough to replicate the problem was when I was headed to the dealer to drop the car off. With summer near, I am sure I will have to wait until the mid/late fall to "replicate" this problem. Let me know if you have any luck dealing with this issue. I will do the same.

vkc, they are saying my fender is sticking out because I hit road debris. I don't remember hitting anything significant, and besides a small pebble size dent under the rocker panel, and the rust proofing rubber cracked in the area, I can't find any damage significant enough to cause this. Point is, the big damage is not there for them to prove this was caused by some large road debris. Should I bring this to an independent body shop for an opinion? The dealer gave me a quote of almost $400 to repair. Do Honda dealerships generally do good work.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey Instructor, dropped the car off twice so far at two different dealerships to have them test drive it in the "morning". Both times I was met with the "shifts fine" line. Next time I will have to meet them in the morning for the drive.
Same here, weather has been warm the past few days and have noticed the car shifts fine even when cold with the warmer weather. The last time conditions were cool enough to replicate the problem was when I was headed to the dealer to drop the car off. With summer near, I am sure I will have to wait until the mid/late fall to "replicate" this problem. Let me know if you have any luck dealing with this issue. I will do the same.

vkc, they are saying my fender is sticking out because I hit road debris. I don't remember hitting anything significant, and besides a small pebble size dent under the rocker panel, and the rust proofing rubber cracked in the area, I can't find any damage significant enough to cause this. Point is, the big damage is not there for them to prove this was caused by some large road debris. Should I bring this to an independent body shop for an opinion? The dealer gave me a quote of almost $400 to repair. Do Honda dealerships generally do good work.
1 - try to do the driving with the tech.
2 - i don't know of any dealer that does their own body work. they all sub that kind of work out but the dealer usually warranty the work if you go that route (i.e. markup). its going to be virtually impossible to prove that the damage happened prior to you taking delivery or even came loose in normal wear-and-tear.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
there's no way body damage will be covered by the warranty. if i was you, i wouldn't waste my time even trying.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stopped by a body shop today and my beliefs were confirmed. There is no debris damage just the pebble size dent where it was probably on the lift. The pinchwelds on all 4 corners have their rust proofing rubber scraped off too. Obvious signs of lift damage. Looks like Hondas going to eat this one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone here have experience with dealership caused damage? I know it's going to be a hassle.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You kicked your car to get snow off your shoes!?!? lol :clapping:
:facepalm: yes yes I did :facepalm: I had the car a month or so it was snowing I didnt have all season matts so I just tapped my shoe on the side so I didnt track in snow , ACK :facepalm:

Didnt notice it till I was washing it I didnt hit it hard either the rocker area is so paper thin its sick

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Stopped by a body shop today and my beliefs were confirmed. There is no debris damage just the pebble size dent where it was probably on the lift. The pinchwelds on all 4 corners have their rust proofing rubber scraped off too. Obvious signs of lift damage. Looks like Hondas going to eat this one.
can you prove the dealership did it?

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
ugh.... ok you bought a honda not a lambo... i dont know about you guys but just about every car ive owned ( about 15 of em) when its cold the trans has issues, wether it be my mustang which hates reverse upon cold start, or my corolla that didnt like 3 rd gear when cold, or my ranger which hated 1st when cold....... its COLD things need to heat up fluid needs to warm... its not rocket science,, personally my si has 2nd gear issues when cold but nothing i worry about i shift nice and slow and in 3-5 mins its fine.... i mean really ive owned cars that where 10 worse then my si...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I don't have to "prove" anything, the evidence is underneath my car. Pinchwelds on all 4 corners have their rustproofing scraped off, with the dent on the rocker has the rustproofing pushed into right next to it. The car obviously was damaged with the dealers lift.

its COLD things need to heat up fluid needs to warm... its not rocket science,, personally my si has 2nd gear issues when cold but nothing i worry about i shift nice and slow and in 3-5 mins its fine
Atleast you are able to SHIFT nice and slow, instead of TRYING to shift, while attempting to do it nice and slow, instead of being locked out of 2nd every other time.
I love the guys who tout Honda's reliability, then when threads like these come along they change their tune: "You bought a Honda not a Benz". I spent my hard earned dollars on this vehicle. I want it to work right, without dealer inflicted damage. I will just keep on going up the food chain until I obtain the results I desire. This will be my last Honda, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't have to "prove" anything, the evidence is underneath my car. Pinchwelds on all 4 corners have their rustproofing scraped off, with the dent on the rocker has the rustproofing pushed into right next to it. The car obviously was damaged with the dealers lift.
sure you do. why would the dealership pay for damage that another shop did to your car? i don't see any reason why they'd pay for it if you can't prove that they did it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts