8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked in my garage and somehow forgot to set the parking brake. A few minutes later I heard a shriek and found my car halfway down the driveway, in the door of my dad's pickup. :banghead:

The bumper lost a bunch of paint and the corner of the body is bent in next to the tail light, along with a chunk of the tail light missing. My camera's batteries are dead but I'll try to get a pic here later.

I got an estimate from Maaco for about a grand, but I'm concerned that their paint won't match. They admitted they don't use Honda paint, but said their matching process is flawless. I don't want to spend the money and not have it look new.

I'm getting an estimate from a local Honda body shop tomorrow. I figure I should be guaranteed a paint match through them. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
mrd said:
I parked in my garage and somehow forgot to set the parking brake. A few minutes later I heard a shriek and found my car halfway down the driveway, in the door of my dad's pickup. :banghead:

The bumper lost a bunch of paint and the corner of the body is bent in next to the tail light, along with a chunk of the tail light missing. My camera's batteries are dead but I'll try to get a pic here later.

I got an estimate from Maaco for about a grand, but I'm concerned that their paint won't match. They admitted they don't use Honda paint, but said their matching process is flawless. I don't want to spend the money and not have it look new.

I'm getting an estimate from a local Honda body shop tomorrow. I figure I should be guaranteed a paint match through them. Any suggestions?

I don't think it matters what paint they use, as long as they use the same color code, your fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
mrd said:
[I parked in my garage and somehow forgot to set the parking brake. A few minutes later I heard a shriek and found my car halfway down the driveway],
I'm sorry for what happened to your and you dad's car,but I must ask:
Don't you put the gearshift in first gear when you park?it would have prevented the car from rolling back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
distrbd said:
Don't you put the gearshift in first gear when you park?it would have prevented the car from rolling back.
I do when I park on a hill, but my garage is flat - or seemingly so, it must have a slope of 1 degree. It wasn't visibly moving when I got out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics I promised. Amazing what can happen when a car rolls off on its own just a few feet.







Got a quote from a Honda body shop too. $1500 vs $1000 from Maaco. Decisions, decisions..
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
mrd said:
I parked in my garage and somehow forgot to set the parking brake. A few minutes later I heard a shriek and found my car halfway down the driveway, in the door of my dad's pickup. :banghead:

The bumper lost a bunch of paint and the corner of the body is bent in next to the tail light, along with a chunk of the tail light missing. My camera's batteries are dead but I'll try to get a pic here later.

I got an estimate from Maaco for about a grand, but I'm concerned that their paint won't match. They admitted they don't use Honda paint, but said their matching process is flawless. I don't want to spend the money and not have it look new.

I'm getting an estimate from a local Honda body shop tomorrow. I figure I should be guaranteed a paint match through them. Any suggestions?
Stay away from Maaco!!! They're the worst!!! They don't use flex agent on flexible plastic like the bumpers (you'll see cracks forming on them in no time), they don't prep the metal and prime (takes too long, they just gind the metal -slap on bondo-sand it and paint it over). Thier paint dries and fades within a year! I had experience with these guys, don't go to them! They're like McDonald's quick in and out, shoddy work!
The dealer (their shop of the one they're affiliated with) will cost you more but they'll provide higher quality work (doesn't your new Civic deserve it?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
mrd said:
Pics I promised. Amazing what can happen when a car rolls off on its own just a few feet.







Got a quote from a Honda body shop too. $1500 vs $1000 from Maaco. Decisions, decisions..
Go for Honda if it makes you feel better because of the OEM Paint. For me, I would save $500 since Maaco is 50% cheaper. It is up to you, man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
If you're spending in the neighborhood of a grand and plan to keep the car I say go with Honda (get a warranty). If you're going to dump it and don't care about color matching or longevity save the $500 and go with Maaco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
possibly cover with HFP rear? touch up paint the rest and it should all be under 500. I say live with it and look at it as a battle scar that differentiates your car from others. That's the only mindset that makes me feel a little better about my scratches
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My baby is in the Honda body shop now. The dealership I went to has their own body and paint shop on the lot, how about that. It should be done in a few days. I'll post up some pics then so you can all see what $1500 at a Honda body shop will do. :pray:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top