8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
i do AND I JUST GOT 2006 SI COUPE TACH AND SPEEDO INTO A 2010 LX-S SEDAN JUST HAVE TO MOVE IN THE SPEDO PIN 7 TO PIN 1 AND ON THE TACH PIN 20 TO PIN 2 THATS IT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did this mod on my 09 Ex auto sedan, thought I'd share some stuff with anyone wanting to attempt this mod.

There are two types of Si Lower (Tach) Clusters, 2006 (which only came on coupes) and 07-2011 (Both coupe and sedan) The difference is the odometer LCD.

2007-2011

As you can see, the 06 LCD is black lettering on bright red background, like the radio LCD. The 07-11 LCD is red lettering on dark red background like the SI Speedometer.

The LEDs that light up the 06 Screen are white, while the 07-11 LEDs are red.

For the purpose of this swap, which involves swapping the LCD into a R18 Cluster, the 06 Screen is far easier to swap because the R18 cluster also uses white leds to light up the blue display.

You can use a 07-11 Screen as long as you solder the red LEDs in place of the white ones.

Since my car is a sedan, I had to order a coupe R18 cluster in order to be able to complete the mod. It's important that sedan owners looking to do this order the correct cluster for their year and trim. For example, the first cluster I ordered came out of a LX 07 Auto Coupe , when I installed it, I discovered this cluster would not display outside temperature nor would it display TPMS and low tire pressure light. Everything else worked.

To correct this I ordered an 08 EX Coupe Auto cluster to get all my features back. The upper Si Speedo can be obtained from any year because they are all the same.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Why? what's the point in doing that?? On top of that you own a EX not a Si so now you have your red effect just have the Si lettering. Don't do that. Get a custom Guage made like I did from blackcustoms and they can make what you want custom to any thing you want

Hence red Guage with perfect readings with no lettering unless you want it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why? what's the point in doing that?? On top of that you own a EX not a Si so now you have your red effect just have the Si lettering. Don't do that. Get a custom Guage made like I did from blackcustoms and they can make what you want custom to any thing you want

Hence red Guage with perfect readings with no lettering unless you want it
My post is for some members were having doubts when it came to swapping the LCD because there are two different versions.

The face is a non issue, Blackcat makes a R18 calibrated red face.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Radio LCD information:

Just like the Clusters are made by a different company on R18 Sedans, so is the radio. The Coupe R18 and all Si radios share the same radio while the R18 Sedan radio is completely different from the other two.

The R18 screen connects to the radio board through a 6 pin plug while the Coupe and Si LCDs connect through two ribbon cables.

I discovered this the hard way, I bought a SI LCD by itself and after disassembling my sedan radio I discovered there was absolutely no way to make it work.

I found out that coupe radios were cheap enough so started researching about them.

For LX EX R18 Sedans you need an LX coupe radio to swap the screen because it's the only Non-Premium Audio one.

EX-L R18 Sedans can use an EX or EXL Coupe or any Si Radio right off the bat because the are premium audio.

All radios are plug and play if you get the right one (Premium or not)

Since I own an 09 EX Sedan I picked up a Coupe LX 09 Radio for 30 bucks.

I had already researched that LX coupes can be retrofitted with Steering controls so I knew that my controls would work, however I did not find any information about USB since LX did not have USB.

After I got the radio and put the SI screen in it, I was pleased to discover that USB DOES work with the 09 LX Head unit. So theoretically people with 09-11 LX Coupe can retrofit FACTORY USB on their cars.

Here is the finished product:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been pondering the idea of placing a vinyl overlay on the colored bits. I have an LX, but I don't like the blue. Thinking of either adding a different shade of blue, or a black tinted vinyl (think: smoke) to get a more subtle, darker shade of blue.

I've searched this to no avail. Maybe even adding colored vinyl will change the color completely. Might experiment with this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to thank everyone who contributed information in this thread!
I was able to swap an si tach and speedo in my lx-s sedan because of this thread.
I can confirm that a couple pins need to be swapped to make this work on a sedan.
Also, its possible to swap the lcd screens from a stock si radio to an r18 coupe radio as well. You can then plug and play the coupe radio in a sedan if the red radio screen is desired as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s easy to replace the blue lcd screen at the bottom that displays the odometer mileage, simply take apart your gauge cluster and peel back the film on the screen and I picked up a red tinted tail light film from autozone and placed it over the screen, then reassembled everything, here’s a pic of my work.

https://m.imgur.com/llwRUe2

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well after a 2 month wait I got my red gauge face. It was all going well until I got to the needle.It absolutely wouldn't come off no matter what I did. I watched all the videos online I could find but mine never hits that spot where it will pull out. I had to come up with another plan. I cut the bottom corner of the old gauge face to remove it and cut the new one so I could slide it in. It took some time but I was able to do that. I had planned to peel the blue tint off the lcd and replace it with red but since I couldn't take the needle off I could take the plastic cover over the lcd off. I ended up just putting the red tint over the existing tint and hoped for the best. I think later I may try a darker tint to make the numbers less pinkish.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
whats pins did you rewire? I have a 06 civic ex auto and cluster from a 07 si sedan?

Just want to thank everyone who contributed information in this thread!
I was able to swap an si tach and speedo in my lx-s sedan because of this thread.
I can confirm that a couple pins need to be swapped to make this work on a sedan.
Also, its possible to swap the lcd screens from a stock si radio to an r18 coupe radio as well. You can then plug and play the coupe radio in a sedan if the red radio screen is desired as well.

281 - 300 of 300 Posts