8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I was washing my friends TL yesterday and I noticed that the lettering on one of her mirrors was gold, and there were also blotches of gold paint... All of the gold was underneathe the top layer of the mirror so I'm assuming someone tinted the mirrors a bluish tint like BMW's have. Does anyone know where we can get some precut films for our civic mirrors to give them that nice blue tint?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
My volvo used to have blue mirrors, I have also seen it on the benz's but I don't think it's an actual tint film, it appears to be colored glass.

I don't know how well tint film would hold up to being exposed to rain and dirt, but if you want to give it a shot it won't be that hard. Precut pieces may be impossible to find, mainly because tint film isn't intended for that use.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well as i said, my friend has a TL and her mirrors are blue, and they are definatly not stock due to the paint... it looks sick, i wonder if blubatmobile will make em.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey guys that bluish tint is called isochromatic glass. bmw's benz's and high line cars use it. i use to work for bmw in the parts dept. one mirror glass can cost up to $350 to $400

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm then why was there blotches of paint on the TL mirror I saw? I seemed like the owner painted the letters gold, spilled a little paint, then tinted them blue.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
black07coupe said:
hmmmm then why was there blotches of paint on the TL mirror I saw? I seemed like the owner painted the letters gold, spilled a little paint, then tinted them blue.
Pictures?

What letters where gold? The "objects in mirror.." text?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
volvo9 said:
Pictures?

What letters where gold? The "objects in mirror.." text?
Yes those letters were painted gold... There were 2 paint blotches on the mirror that couldnt be felt, as if they were below a layer of glass. Not my car, so I dont have any pictures.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
firemen1641 said:
hey guys that bluish tint is called isochromatic glass. bmw's benz's and high line cars use it. i use to work for bmw in the parts dept. one mirror glass can cost up to $350 to $400

wow, interesting is that what they charge for the whole mirror or just the glass?

*I can get just the glass for $40-$70 installed at our shop roughly it depends on type of car.*

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
What year TL was it? I've worked with TL's till a bit after the 06's came out and then quit the dealer job and never saw gold text or blue glass on the mirrors, I'm going to assume that your friend did it himself, unless it's a new type S thing. I've never driven a new S before.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
volvo9 said:
What year TL was it? I've worked with TL's till a bit after the 06's came out and then quit the dealer job and never saw gold text or blue glass on the mirrors, I'm going to assume that your friend did it himself, unless it's a new type S thing. I've never driven a new S before.
05 6-spd with sports package... lip all around. and its a chick. a bangin one too.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
there are a few acura's that have blue glass, 3.2TL 1999-2003, MDX 2001-2005, RL 2005-2006, TL 2004-2005. and if it looks like weird flaking behind the mirror it might mean that the mirror is starting to come apart and you need a new mirror. I havent seen gold lettering ether.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its actualy blotches of paint... like someone spilled drops of paint on it. I'll get a picture of it next time I see the chick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts