8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When underbody kits first came out they were all neon. Not very durable, nor that bright when the sun went down (cuz the temperature dropped). Better kits emerged over the years, and Paul Walker showed us how to glow and dazzle the ladies with limited vocabulary. Then, as LEDs came into play, the market changed. LEDs were cheaper, but neon always won for overall glow, yet LEDs were more efficient and could really crank out the light. Both have pros and cons, google it for more info...

Enough with the less than flawless history lesson, it probably took you under 10 minutes to decide whether or not you liked seeing the street glow under a car, and most don't like it. I admit, I was hooked from day one, but never did anything about it until now. I went with LEDs as durability is a must for the sand, gravel, and ice on Canadian roads. But one thing that always bugged me about all the kits I saw was the kit really looked like it 'gave up' before it got to the tires. Makes sense when most kits have two 4' sides and two 3' ends while cars are about 14' long and 6' wide. Well, I got four 6' strips which, when factoring in tire shadows and not having to glow the corners twice, fills in the underbody a lot more. Also, I think the rest of my exterior glow helps make tie it in as an overall effect as opposed to a dark battery riding on a light bulb.

I did install them myself one afternoon, simple 2 wire operation so you don't need to wire in a controller box, I wanted to keep it simple. I kinda made my own kit by buying 4 of these 6' strips Beefy LED Strips. The headlights, tail lights, and grille glow were separate projects. I got all this stuff from Oznium, amazing site for car lighting, killer prices. The UB 'kit' was about $225 shipped to Canada (four 6' beefy LED strips), the headlight and tail light LEDs were about $20 all together, and the 28" strip in the grill was about another $30. Add wiring and a couple of other little parts and you're still under $300 CAD.

NOTE; in most places it is NOT leagal to drive with these on, and even if it is legal, you'll attact attention you don't want from cops. Even though I can turn these on while driving, the main use I get is they come on with my map light, which fades on and off when I disarm/arm my alarm, or open a door. Parking lots is where it is much safer to use, and then people can actually talk to me about it (which they often do). Now, on to the photos and videos!

YouTube - 2007 Civic Blue LED UB kit with Matching Heads/Tails

Rant, rave, neither or both. But at the end of the day, can't we all just vtec and get along :vtec: ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
question. is there any way i can get my front grill to light up white while i have my hids on??? i think lighting that part up would look great. i just wouldnt know how to go about doing this. i know i need leds but what would they connect to? any ideas?

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
i'm never a fan of underbody lights... but going with the theme of ur car i guess it's ok... i'm really liking the tails and the headlights... good job :thumb:

·
Registered
837 Posts
best look'n setup I've seen. + rep. can you post some daytime undercarriage pics of where you mounted the led tubes? The complete wrap around looks awsome man, like I said, best looking setup I've seen

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Looking good Mikey. Now if only I could convince you to use some tire shine lol

Haha, our Calgary crew meets are funnay. EVERYONE has white or black Civics except me.

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
I recently just installed my own LED underbody system as well. I have 7 colors to choose from and over 50 flashing patterns or solid color. It is also sound reactive which is useless if I am driving thanks to my skunk2 haha. Its all good I don't make a habit of driving around with them on, plus I prefer the solid color. I will see if I can snap some pics soon. I love what you have done with the headlight and tails and would do it immediately on my own car....but its too much work for me!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 131 Posts