8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently blown my k20 engine and i wanna know if i replace the engine block will that help or would i need to replace the whole engine?

sorry new to cars this is my first car,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idk i was just driving and i think i misshifted and i started hearing my engine rocking and making a really loud noise and now it wont even start, so i took it to a mechanic and he said i need a whole new engine

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want to keep it a k20z3, bring it to a shop and let them do it right. You probably bent/broke something and then ****** the timing as I'm sure other things so that's why it won't start.

If you want to make this into a 'race car' then go for building it yourself if you're capable, but just realize any block/head/pistons/whatever needs a machine shop to grind them flat/correctly or hone whatever needs to be honed. They also have years of experience and know what to look for. Also there's a LOT more than just putting on a k24 block. A lot of stuff needs to be changed and IMO the k20z3 block is the best because of the oil cooler (which you need a new one of too - that's $260 min alone)

I just went through this with my car, a rod bearing went, so I took the motor out, found the problem, decided it was above my skill level and brought it to a machine shop. Now all is well with my k20z3 :)

Either way you go, be prepared to spend upwards of $5k or more to get it done right!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will have to pull the motor out to see what is wrong with it. You most likely will be able to rebuild your current block. I personally would go that route rather than buying a used block that could be bad too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts