8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, they weren't joking when they said Hell would freeze over when the Riders won the Grey Cup....:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Absolutely blistering here today, had to pull out the cord for the ol' block heater.
I was just wondering what ways are there to check to see if my block heater is still working and to see if the connection on the plug is still good. The thing has been through 2 horrendous winters with no garage. I was just curious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
they way I can tell, is if it's -20 and the car starts up without a bitching for 10-20 seconds first, it's good. I haven't plugged mine in yet, but I will tonight (although I said that last night)

·
Registered
59 Posts
When the car is cold, plug it in, and listen for it. If there is any wind or traffic noise, you might have to pop the hood or stick your head under the car a little bit. You should be able to hear the block heater make a bit of a crackling noise, similar to an electric kettle. It is a good thing to check for, they can burn out after a few years the way we use them out here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you have one of those clamp on ammeters you can see if there is current flowing in the cord. I used to put my block heater on an outdoor timer and used my ammeter to confirm it was working. In my '71 Datsun 240Z there was enough room on the right hand side of the engine block to be able to feel the warmth from the block heater... I haven't looked for mine on my 06' Civic as it doesn't get cold enough here for that! heheh! (sorry...)

·
Registered
376 Posts
you know, it has gone down to past -20ºc and I still haven't plugged my car in. I really should, but it starts just fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I regularly use a block heater, and a wolverine oil pan heater on my '09 Si.

Also, I've been using a block heater on my Honda Insight for the last 2 years and something interesting happened last week. It kept tripping the GFCI at work. I cleaned the three prongs on the heating element and the female prongs on the power cord using aerosol contact cleaner and q-tips, and everything works now and is back to normal... I think I'll probably put some shin-etsu grease in there next time I'm messing around under the hood, that may slow it from corroding in the future.

So, if anyone has trouble with their block heater tripping breakers or GFCI, try contact cleaner before you decide to replace the element.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts