8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me please,
I own a 2008 Civic Si with 28000 miles on it. I had my rear brakes replaced last fall because of premature wear due to the rotors being warped. When spring came around my car again started to squeel and churn as I came to a slow stop, so i took the car in again, and my mechanic warrentied the brakes from Honda because they were again warped. Now its been a few more months and a few thousand miles and my car is again churning upon slow stops, however only from the passesger side rear.
If i had to guess again I would say that i need new brakes again, hopefully under warrenty, however this is becoming irritating. I do have aftermarket wheels but I dont think that is the cause since the brakes end up becoming warped with or with out the stock wheels on the car.
Any one have ideas on what is causing the problems? And no i dont beat on my car, i tend to drive like ms daisy.....

·
Registered
800 Posts
Do you ride the brake? I know it's hard to do with a manual, but anything is possible?

Rear brakes normally last WAY longer than front brakes, and with a manual car brakes tend to last much longer than on an automatic.

I have an 08 Si too, and my brakes are doing fine (28,000 miles). Let's see what some others have to say about this. I don't recall reading about other 08's with brake problems though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant say i ride the brakes, id say i drive the car very easy, compared to what most others would do. Maybe the slides are sticking causing extra heat and friction? I have no idea really.
All i know is i shouldnt need a third set of REAR pads and/or rotors already this is crazy. Everything brake wise in the front is original stock with no issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
have you had your parking break checked? maybe the cable is too tight or kinking somewhere which is causing it not to disengage and simply overheating your rotors?

·
Registered
838 Posts
If the rotors were overheated, you will see discolorations on the rotor face. that is wierd. Did they check for binding in the caliper. Or better yet, did they even replace the whole rotor/pad assembly from the get go, or did they merely turn the rotors and reinstall. That will warp the rotors even quicker.
Also when you reinstall the wheel, do forget to torque the wheel to evenly distribute the force.

Hope you get this sorted.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I'd almost venture to suggest that:
A. possibly your rear knucle (hub) may be bent/warped... You can check by taking the wheel, caliper, and rotor off, and with a watchful eye, spin the hub to check for warpage. (If you need a new hub, they run about ~$100)
-or-
B. Incorrect lug nut torque - as this can pose a problem for many vehicles, and over time has the possibility of warping rotors. (You can find torque wrenches at Harbor Freight for $20 bucks all day)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update 5/21/10
Just got word from the mechanic that they are going to replace the brakes under warranty again.. Cant be done for a few days, need to wait for the parts to come in. They said the e-brake cable was fine and the hub assembly was all set. They were kind of suggesting that it could be do to my after market wheels. I doubt they are the culprit seeing how i have had the brake issue with or with out the wheels on the car.
Gotta love it....

·
Registered
36 Posts
idk what to tell you my 07 si has 40k miles still with the brake pads and roters it left the dealership with allmost 4 years ago.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Update 5/21/10
Just got word from the mechanic that they are going to replace the brakes under warranty again.. Cant be done for a few days, need to wait for the parts to come in. They said the e-brake cable was fine and the hub assembly was all set. They were kind of suggesting that it could be do to my after market wheels. I doubt they are the culprit seeing how i have had the brake issue with or with out the wheels on the car.
Gotta love it....
If the wheel isn't mating flush against the rotor, this could happen, especially if the lugs were not torqued to spec (over-torqued or un-evenly torqued). Its very possible that the aftermarket wheels are the cause, but only time will tell, if it happens again.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It's really hard to tell without seeing the brakes, but there is an underlying problem if the brakes are truely wearing out that fast.

I am also curious about how many times (if any) the rotors were replaced. Do you know if they were ever actually checked for runout (or confirmed to be warped). Did you ever feel pulsation in the pedal, or feel like the rate at which you were actually slowing down was varying up and down (like while slowing down it felt like you were varying pressure on the pedal, but you weren't). Believe it or not, it takes a lot to warp a rotor, and it doesn't happen very often. Like someone else already suggested, there would almost have to be a bent hub (and this could potentially also cause other problems, like vibration, almost like a tire out of balance). A quick runout check would tell if this is the case as well (they seem to say it's not). Usually a "warped" rotor is really just a slightly uneven thickness due to the transfer of pad material at high pressures and temperatures.

I would be quite surprised of the wheels were the issue. If the wheel mounting surface was bent it could potentially put uneven pressure on the rotor, but this is extremely unlikely to warp it as long as the rotor is being tightened against a flat hub.

Regardless of all this, a slightly warped rotor on its own would not cause this drastic of a premature wear and noise issue with the pads.

When you got the pads replaced the most recent times, where they actually worn out, or were they just making noise? I know some pads have a noise warranty, and the shop will replace them if they begin making noise. Did the shop say they were actually significantly worn, or worn out completely? Or are they saying the rotors are warped again?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pads were not worn out this most recent time. I started hearing a metal on metal creeking sound when coming to a slow stop. Unlike the high pitched squeel from worn out brake pads. The sound is being generated from just the passenger side rear brake. The shop even said that its possible that the rotor is warped, however the only way to get rid of the noise when coming to a complete stop is to replace both pads and rotors.

Thanks to everyone for the repsonses.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm at 42k and although sometimes I'm hard on the brakes, there is still plenty of pad. I do use stock wheels and torque lug nuts to 80'lb every time. I have noticed an occasional pulse but only at slow speeds and light brake force. Any heavy braking or higher speed braking and I don't even notice it.

Just realized I'm not really helping but maybe make sure to torque the wheels properly??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
that's really odd, there is deff something not right there, I have about 40k on my car and sometimes hard on the brakes and I still have at least 50% left all around with no warping at all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just dropped the car at the dealer, my mechanic said the right rear hub was indeed warped, hopefully the dealer will cover this under warranty

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
just dropped the car at the dealer, my mechanic said the right rear hub was indeed warped, hopefully the dealer will cover this under warranty
.... Hate to say I told you so.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
and i'm wondering what brand of brake pads your mechanic is using? is he using honda oem or autozone/advance pads?
Shouldn't matter as long as they're quality.

The thing is, he's complaining of brake squeal/squeak. The simple reason behind this is that when your hub/knuckle is bent, your rotor now turns in an out-of-true manner (eg. wobbles), if its bent enough (it doesnt take much), part of the rotor will now skim the brake pad(s) on EVERY rotation, causing repeated squeaking, or if left alone long enough, worn pads, and possibly even cause the need to turn or replace your rotor(s).

This has happened to me in the past. However, it was caused by driver error. This kind of thing doesn't just happen on its own, and if it does - then well... your hubs are probably made of butter. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked the car up from the dealer and they said they saw no signs of warpage but to bring it back to them was the brakes squeel/grind again. I'm using OEM pads and rotors. I feel like my dealer just doesnt want to repair/replace the HUB.
I think the warpage came from getting my rims switched at Tire Warehouse, should have known w the high school kids doing the work. My guy always double checks tq on the lugs.
I guess in 6000 more miles the dealer will have to do pads and rotors when they warp again along w the hub.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.