8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my new brake setup, but i tried to bleed my brakes after having the lines off, and it's not working. I think i remember seeing that you need a machine to bleed the abs system once the fluid drains out. lord knows my regular way isnt doing the trick. i bleed the system, and as soon as i start the car, the brakes are back to spongy and weak. Daddy needs to head to the dealership huh?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you dont need to bleed th abs unit itself? i was bleeding the calipers totally backwards from your diagram. i was doing rear pass, rear driver, front pass, front driver. ?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^well, it does exactly the same thing as the way i was doing it. you must have to do something special for the abs system, because all the combinations i have tried to bleed it in end up being the same.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Did you let the master cylinder run dry? When you bleed you have to constantly add fluid while bleeding so the MC doesn't run dry. If you didn't you may have air trapped in there. You will have ot take it to the dealer b/c they have a special machine for when that happens.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didnt let it run dry, but just in case i took it off and bench bled it. i put ti back in and did the bleeding cycle 4 times in a row without stopping, and when i got back to the pass-rear, it's like i never bled it at all. HONDA- HERE I COME!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok......you guys are going to absolutely love this..........
so after i have had it with the brakes, i decided i'm going to honda. while leaving my neighborhood, i'm stopping at the stop signs and the brakes actually feel pretty good.....

then as i come to the cross street, i notice they feel...REALLY GOOD. so i drive back home and jack up the rear and set a cinder block on the brake pedal.
i attach my bleeder hose and stick it down in the cup of dot3 fluid, and turn the bleeder.................................
and what comes out????????? AIR BUBBLES!

SO i stop and think, how in the damn world can this be?!?!?! OMG!11

and thats when i hang my head in shame...

wheni was attaching my bleeder hose and putting it in the fluid, guess what was trapped in the 1 ft long bleeder hose?? AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This whole time i have been going absolutely crazy because air was getting in to my lines somehow, when it wasn't in my lines at all. it was in the bleeder.

if my old boss at ISC racing services saw what i have been doing these past few days he would have slapped my ass silly. How embarising for a mazda tech to make such a carless oversight. but, i am not stuck up so i figured i'd share it with everyone to remind us all that its often the st00pid little things that can have us fooled! BUMP FOR BEING FINISHED WITH THE BRAKES FINALLY!

·
Registered
142 Posts
TeamValorRacing said:
ok......you guys are going to absolutely love this..........
so after i have had it with the brakes, i decided i'm going to honda. while leaving my neighborhood, i'm stopping at the stop signs and the brakes actually feel pretty good.....

then as i come to the cross street, i notice they feel...REALLY GOOD. so i drive back home and jack up the rear and set a cinder block on the brake pedal.
i attach my bleeder hose and stick it down in the cup of dot3 fluid, and turn the bleeder.................................
and what comes out????????? AIR BUBBLES!

SO i stop and think, how in the damn world can this be?!?!?! OMG!11

and thats when i hang my head in shame...

wheni was attaching my bleeder hose and putting it in the fluid, guess what was trapped in the 1 ft long bleeder hose?? AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This whole time i have been going absolutely crazy because air was getting in to my lines somehow, when it wasn't in my lines at all. it was in the bleeder.

if my old boss at ISC racing services saw what i have been doing these past few days he would have slapped my ass silly. How embarising for a mazda tech to make such a carless oversight. but, i am not stuck up so i figured i'd share it with everyone to remind us all that its often the st00pid little things that can have us fooled! BUMP FOR BEING FINISHED WITH THE BRAKES FINALLY!

Sounds like something i'd do. Rep for you taking no shame.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
2 liters should be plenty. You might be able to get by with 1 liter for a flush and even less with just bleeding the lines for a line change.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hrm...didn't know there was a difference between flushing and bleeding. I wanted all the lines filled with the ATE but I only ordered 1L. :(

Is this true? I read it on another thread. Will most mechanics know what to do about ABS? It's rather old tech right?

Because the car has ABS, you 'should' purge the ABS modulator. On some cars you can do this by removing the ABS fuse and putting it back in... not sure on the Civic. The dealer uses their HDS tablet to cycle each circut separately.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've read somewhere that you can bleed your lines and replace with new fluid, and then take it out for a drive and do several hard stops. The point of this is to engage your ABS unit and have it pump fluid. Theoretically, it will purge the ABS pump of old fluid and replace it with new fluid from the reservoir. However, this will mean that the fresh fluid near the calipers will be contaminated with what was previously in the ABS pump, so you need to bleed again.

Not sure how credible this info is, I just read it somewhere long ago. It sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

I know that on VWs, the service tech will use the VAG-COM (proprietary VW diagnostic software) to cycle the ABS pump while bleeding in order to change 100% of the fluid. However, I doubt most VW techs provide this level of proper service, since they know the owner won't see a difference.

Consequently, ABS pump replacements are among the most common repairs done on VWs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i will never mess with the abs system EVER again. it wasnt worth those dumb ss lines for all the hassle i went through to bleed that beast. if i were you, i'd let honda do it so you dont hate your life. lol

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It's going to a mechanic but not Honda. I swore off my dealership months ago. I kinda regret not getting the SS lines since I'm doing the rotors, pads and fluid but $$$$$ won out in the end.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
you obviously did something wrong if you got that much air in.

Ive replaced numerous flexible brake hoses at work, and im pretty sure its the same as the ss lines.

As a matter of fact, if done correctly, you may not even have to bleed the system at all.

The best thing to do, once installed, is let the lines gravity bleed.

Meaning, start from the wheel farthest from the master, being the right rear.

Crack the bleeder screw, let it drip for about 10-20 seconds, check for air, then close it. repeat to the other rear wheel, then stop, make sure you have enough fluid in the master, then repeat to both front wheels.

If you still feel spnginess in the lines, refer to manual bellding. meaning, Pump it, hold it.

Abs systems arent much harder to work with than regular braking systems.

Im ASE certified =]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts