8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this has happened a few times now, when some buddies of mine are driving behind me and i step on the gas really quickly a bunch of black smoke comes out. now i googled some answers and it says that i'm running rich. so my question is, should this be a problem? should i take it in to get fixed? or is it just something normal with these cars? my engine mods are tbs, x intake, etd, and hfp exhaust.

Anyways any help in what i should do would be great thanks!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Does this only happen before the car is completely warmed up, or does it happen even and full operating temp? How many miles?

Virtually every engine goes way rich briefly if you really slam the throttle down. It's called acceleration enrichment, and it's totally normal.

It is possible that due to your intake or TBS mods, it gets a tad richer than normal, though if you don't have poor mileage, performance issues, or a CEL I probably wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's also possible that your catalytic converter is either wearing out, or was simply not warmed up fully when this happened. Often, excess puffs of smoke which would have been seen otherwise, are reduced to the point they aren't noticed because of the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cars got 23,***km's on it, and now that you mention it, both times it was maybe 2-3min after being started (not warmed up yet)

thanks for the helpful info. i'm not so worried anymore lol

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
is it normal for black smoke to come out if i dont have my cat on anymore, cuz ive have this same problem that my friends keep telling me about even when my car is warmed up

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
yah warm up ur car drive it for a few minutes then when its up to the normal temp then romp on it you will save your motor like that :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
do u have any mods? if so you could be running rich. this causes carbon build up in ur exhaust more then normal. when u drive normal its not gonna blow out. however when u WOT it will blow out. Black smoke not bad...if its a bluish or white color then your looking at bigger problems !

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
well ya i have i/h/e and tbs with a professional tune wit a fp, but i was just wondering if the black smoke coming out meant anything wrong

·
Registered
61 Posts
nah dude it pretty much normal...if ur tuned that makes sense. most tuners will run u a lil rich to protect u from running lean. Also when ur car is cold u will run even more rich. just let ur car warm up!!!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
k thnx cuz i was contemplating getting a SC set-up but if that was bad with the smoke i wasnt gonna get it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does this black smoke cause a buildup of black dusty material on the edge of the exhaust? I haven't looked in my rearview mirror for this black smoke but I have this black material on my exhaust...could this be caused by anything else?

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
It's just carbon build up inside of the exhaust. Happens to everyone. Try driving in 70 km/h in 6th and dumping it to 2nd. You will have an extreme case of black carbon shoot out the exhaust. :)

It's only a problem if it's always happening. Then that would be a cause you're running rich. But in this case it's just carbon... I'm pretty sure of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts