8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if anybody else did this or not but here it goes. i wanted my grill to be black but not glossy black. i also didnt want to ruin the paint on the factory grill. so i opted for plasti dips's spray on rubbery finish paint.

stuff is awesome. no prep really. just wash it. dry it and spray it. 3-4 coats and alot of drying time.

the end result is. it looks good. the finish right after its 100% dry needs a few coats of mother protectant. then wash the car and the grill is ready for all the abuse u can throw at it.

if its gets nasty you can peel it of and respray it. and no worries if you get over spray. you just let it dry and wipe it off.

so if you are wanting the grill to be black and want it done cheap, but be reliable and easy to apply give it a shot.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
soory pics are a little dark but at the same time u can see on the lighted side how nice it looks

if only i had a red emblem for the front

·
Registered
312 Posts
Interesting. Is there any chance you could try and get some better pics up? I'd be interested in seeing it close up, and also what it looks like in daylight.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Interesting. Is there any chance you could try and get some better pics up? I'd be interested in seeing it close up, and also what it looks like in daylight.
:yeahthat:

It looks pretty good though from what we can see. :thumb:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heres a few more guys. idk why but its not easy to get a good pic. maybe too much over head sunlight? idk anyways hope these are better

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha 6 months? guess u want to know how it holds up. im not worried. like i said if it gets bad i can peel it off like a sticker pretty much and then respray it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
haha 6 months? guess u want to know how it holds up. im not worried. like i said if it gets bad i can peel it off like a sticker pretty much and then respray it.
that sounds like the most beneficial part of this. it serves a dual purpose of both looking good and protecting your paint underneath, all while being completely reversible. win/win product IMO

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sounds like the most beneficial part of this. it serves a dual purpose of both looking good and protecting your paint underneath, all while being completely reversible. win/win product IMO
exactly! i was going to wrap it in black vinyl for the same reason but before i dropped 50 bucks on some vinyl i tried with a piece i had. it was a huge pita to wrap to i pulled it off then i discovered plasti dip spray. and its awesome. i think of it like a spray on vinyl haha

·
Registered
279 Posts
cool, looks good, I am just alittle hesitant, my car is the nighthawk black, so I don't want there to be a large contrast in finish.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and a tip to anyone who might do this. get 2 cans. practice spraying something else first. your goal is to get multiple wet coats without runs, but not to far either or youll get a texture. once youve got it down proceed to painting the grill. you can pull small inperfections out with a hair dryer while its drying inbetween coats but use it wisely dont use alot of heat. let it dry a day or so before washing then apply mother protectant and then wash the car. should look pristine at that point

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool, looks good, I am just alittle hesitant, my car is the nighthawk black, so I don't want there to be a large contrast in finish.
gloss black and matte black cntrast well imo. but id say unless you have chips or w/e in ur grill now i would leave it. if you decide to try it anyways. its reversable. i did mine twice to check that it would peel off and sure enuff it peeled off easy enough for me to be happy

1 - 20 of 54 Posts