8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i just got my third oil change at 9000 miles and i was at my buddy's shop when he did it and i noticed how dirty the oil looks with just 3000 miles on it. i'm assuming the Si runs rich and this is the result.(dirty black exhaust pipe too. i'm planning to go forced induction as soon as the redshift hits the market. i'm wondering if 3000 miles is sufficient between oil changes running an engine rich with all the carbon deposits in the oil. (forced induction).

i remember in ship class 20 years ago about carbon black being abrasive to the cylinder walls and other moving parts.

·
Registered
967 Posts
3K is plenty. If it makes you feel better, use synth or a synth blend.
If you're really worried, you can have the old oil tested for composition and breakdown.
ahve you checked the plugs for deposits?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the previous oil change was at the dealership so i guess honda oil and i know it was a honda filter that was removed.

i haven't checked my plugs

no engine modifications whatsoever.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
my oil is usually very dark, almost black after an oil change. i changed it first at 1k miles and regularly at 5k now with mobil1. i never thought anything of it.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
you must taste the oil ---- because that is about as valid as looking at it :eek:hnoes: :eek:hnoes:

blackstone labs can test the oil. :thumb: about 25.00

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
ryker said:
you must taste the oil ---- because that is about as valid as looking at it :eek:hnoes: :eek:hnoes:

Exactly lol.

All oil turns black. And it all turns black at different times. One time, your oil may not turn black till 5K miles, the next, its starting to turn @ 2K miles. Doesnt matter. The only real way to tell is to get an oil analysis...

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
ryker said:

Leonard1818 said:
Exactly lol.

All oil turns black. And it all turns black at different times. One time, your oil may not turn black till 5K miles, the next, its starting to turn @ 2K miles. Doesnt matter. The only real way to tell is to get an oil analysis...
im glad there are some educated opinions here. all these other people were starting to make me think somthing was wrong with my car....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the oil wasn't jet black but extremly dark.

well none of my vehicles for the past twenty years had oil this black at 3000miles except for a 67 vw beetle ((of course it was black!) and a grand prix gtp with the super charger)
the 8th gen si seems to run rich...not just mine. (maybe honda scared of detonation in case someones uses low octane) i looked at everybodys tail pipes at a meet and they had it too. i wanna know if it will shorten engine life down the road. If i get 150,000 i'll be happy...:box:

btw...i'm gonna test the oil at my next oil change and let you guys know. i have castrol gtx 5-30 this time with a wix filter.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Oil can actually hold a good amount of soot and carbon. A diesel will have jet black oil after just a few miles, yet it is perfectly ok to use.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I started using mobil1 after 5k miles and change it every 5k miles, oil still looks pretty decent when drained...thinking about having the analysis done just to see what they say about it...

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
ct20 said:
I started using mobil1 after 5k miles and change it every 5k miles, oil still looks pretty decent when drained...thinking about having the analysis done just to see what they say about it...
Do it.

That'd be interesting to crazies like me!

Do you drive hard?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts