8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea sounds funny, but I haven't seen this anywhere yet...

You would add cold cathode lamps under the dash and seats, and swap out the dome lights for UV (ish) leds (and keep 'em on while rollin' at night).

Possible pro's/con's:

Pro:
-futuristic style
-nice uv ambiance in the car (anything white glowing like crazy etc.)
-novelty (has anyone done this before?)

Con:
-hard on your eyes
-every little spec of dust becomes a glowing eyesore
-losing the purpose of the overhead lights ("black light" is barely visible)
-weird?

I think you would get the same kind of ambiance as in one of those interior laser tag things. The thing with the 8th gen is that it's already futuristic looking and such a mod would really add to the style.
I remember seeing a crappy Hyundai Accent the other day with purple neon underglow (i almost puked)...it really looked ***, but hopefully "black light" should look better...Personally I would go with red for all the interior lights for my car (SI) or blue if I had any other model but, everyone has different taste.

What are your thoughts? Of course it would be a purely "for show" mod. Just throwing around the idea if someone wants to try :) . If you find pics of anything like this (in any car) please post 'em!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
that does sound cool but for one its not my style and for two it is illegal to drive around with ur dome lights on

·
Registered
618 Posts
I like the idea but it might be like communism. Looks good on paper but just does not work when applied in real life. Might get ya in some trouble with the cops

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
not good, me and my girl gets it on too much in the back seat.. means the black light will make the back seat glow like crazy.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I imagine this to be what my personal hell would be:

Putting me in my Si's interior in the dark, turning on a black light. I would scream bloody murder from all the specks of stuff glowing on my seat.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
not good, me and my girl gets it on too much in the back seat.. means the black light will make the back seat glow like crazy.
haha u and ur girl must be tiny! or just very skilled .. haha

black light would be cool.. just as long as u don;t drive around with them on.. i believe they mess up your vision ..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm pretty sure that black lights came as standard equipment on mid 90s Civics around here. You also had the option of LED washer nozzles and valve stem caps.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
i actually thought about doing this for my floor lights instead of the red ones i went with. but between the dust obtion and just the fact that red goes with the stock interior lights i opted not to. i think its like someone said. it'll be like communism good on paper but not in real life

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Uhm. Black light = UVA waves if I'm not mistaken. These radiation waves cause damage to your skin by destroying collagen cells and vitamin A. Not to mention they mess with your cataracts and you might end up with a case of malignant melanoma. They're not as harmful as UVB or UVC, but no thanks, I'd rather not.

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
that would be cool for a lil bit till it gets annoying but u know blacklights cause skin cancer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay so, final verdict:

It would be cool at a car show (the kind where you get points for sticking an Xbox and a flat screen TV in your trunk).

Not so cool while driving.

I can imagine a nighthawk black civic with clear windows, leather seats, purple halo headlights, "black light" neon underglow and "black light" neon inside.

As for concerns about UV rays: they are indeed high energy waves, but the quantity in which they are emitted makes them pretty much harmless unless you will be living in your car. Plus, you aren't looking directly at the CCL bulbs or the LED's, you're looking at the fluorescence effect of the UVA rays being absorbed by certain surfaces (such as some white surfaces glowing). As for the deep purple light, it is not UV: it is really deep purple light that has passed through the bulb's filter. UV is invisible to the naked eye. :spinning:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Uhm. Black light = UVA waves if I'm not mistaken. These radiation waves cause damage to your skin by destroying collagen cells and vitamin A. Not to mention they mess with your cataracts and you might end up with a case of malignant melanoma. They're not as harmful as UVB or UVC, but no thanks, I'd rather not.

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it.

Uh oh I go Cosmic bowling! I'm doomed! :( lol Seriously though, like special ringpop mentioned. The Si seats are lint MAGNETS! It would just make all the crap glow like crazy. Would look aweful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts