8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much want to replace the chrome H's in front and in the back for black H's. any one know if these are sold or how to paint these properly so they look nice and last.

Any ideas or info would be great.

·
Banned
4,871 Posts
you can pop em off and paint em..theres a DIY for that

OR

you could get the red JDM badges and get black overlays from GRAFX or Blue Batmobile..im not sure which. this way is more money, but IMO looks cleaner

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ye, out of those two options ide rather paint. but if i do i wanna do it properly. those red JDM badges look freakin huge, and ridiculous to me. Just not my thing i guess. all i really need is that thin chrome H but in black.

·
Registered
685 Posts
wasup man!, remember me? lol

i just did mine with a rattle can, but it started to chip,so i'm going to try
plasti-dip, which is basicaly rubber coating and wont chip from what i've heard.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I painted my stock emblems, easy job. my avatar is a bit small, but it's real clean. Here's what I used and costs at autozone:

350 grit sandpaper: $3.00
Duplicolor spray paint in black $4.50
Duplicolor etching primer: $4.50
Rustoleum clearcoat: $5.00
Rubbing Alcohol: $2.00 at Target

So just remove your stock chrome emblem, and sand it down as much as you can so that the chrome isn't super reflective (no need to sand it down to to the bare level, this will take a LONG time). I just sanded for about 15 minutes.

Then got a towel with rubbing alcohol and cleaned the surface.

Spray on a thin coat of etching primer. wait 20 minutes. Spray on another thin coat of primer.

wait 1 hour.

Spray on a thin coat of paint. wait 20 minutes. Spray on another thin coat of paint. wait 20 minutes. Spray on another thin coat of paint.

wait overnight (at least 8 hours)

Spray on thin coat of clearcoat. wait 30 minutes. Spray on another thin coat of clear.

let dry for 2 days. Snap the emblem back on. (i used super glue). don't press hard as the clear is not 100% cured, 2 days is just enough for you to apply gentle force to put the emblem back on. Wait another week or so, and the clear will cure.

Had this on my car for almost a year now. no chips, w/e. looks VERY clean, feels nice very smooth too. pm me for questions!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just read on another thread here that a guy sprayed his groill withthis plsti dip stuff. that might be a good solution. looking into all the possibilitys and that looks the cheapest. Dont wanna do the JDM's cause the H isi still silver. i want the H to be black

·
Registered
345 Posts
did you skip over my post? lol, do it, it's cheap and easy.

don't risk over spray, that's gonna cost you hundreds to get cleaned. the chrome h comes off easy with a razer blade with no marks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
can we see a better close up picture if you have a chance David? :D I'm seriously thinking about making this small detail on my Si.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
im going to try and do this same thing in couple weeks when i have vaca. i have a black license plate frame on my TW sedan and want the H symbol to match. more pics/advice if you got um, thx :thumb:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
What I would like to duplicate is what's on the 5th gen Toyota Camry's.

I guess they call it their "black pearl emblem package"

Not necessarily black, nor gunmetal, but almost like a black chrome look.

·
Registered
345 Posts
im going to try and do this same thing in couple weeks when i have vaca. i have a black license plate frame on my TW sedan and want the H symbol to match. more pics/advice if you got um, thx :thumb:
Hey man, the best advice I could give you is to sand well. Don't be lazy, at most you'll be sanding 15 minutes so just do 5 minutes at a time if it gets too tiring (it shouldn't be though, I painted my rims and now THAT was a ***** to sand...) just get 300 ~ 400 grit sandpaper and just keep sanding away. The chrome should be dull, like satin. Try to get around the edges well, so the paint doesn't chip off on those hard to see spots.

After, it's important not to spray thick coats, not having an emblem on your car doesn't make it un-drivable or anything, so take a few days doing this (letting it dry).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
What I would like to duplicate is what's on the 5th gen Toyota Camry's.

I guess they call it their "black pearl emblem package"

Not necessarily black, nor gunmetal, but almost like a black chrome look.
YES that is exactly what im going for. im surprised no one just sells them like that.

Hey man, the best advice I could give you is to sand well. Don't be lazy, at most you'll be sanding 15 minutes so just do 5 minutes at a time if it gets too tiring (it shouldn't be though, I painted my rims and now THAT was a ***** to sand...) just get 300 ~ 400 grit sandpaper and just keep sanding away. The chrome should be dull, like satin. Try to get around the edges well, so the paint doesn't chip off on those hard to see spots.

After, it's important not to spray thick coats, not having an emblem on your car doesn't make it un-drivable or anything, so take a few days doing this (letting it dry).
hmm sounds good thx. i have couple week break coming up. try it then.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ok. Wisdom teeth taken out earlier. so just sitting around next few days. gonna go to home depot+pepboys (theyre both pretty close to my house) and buy all the needed stuff. gonna buy a new rear H emblem too. i called the honda dealer, only $20. so i emailed both collegehills and majestic honda. they sell everything cheaper so hoping i can get a new symbol to work on for like $10/15. i know i can just use the stock one but id feel better to use a new one since theyre fairly reasonable. plus i can find a good use for the old H.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts