8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time no see to any veterans of the site, it's been a while since I've been on. Anyhow, I have an 06 SI Coupe running OEM struts and Ground Control coilover sleeves. Literally after having them on for 9-10 months, the rear shocks blew out but the fronts are fading but still not bad. I haven't looked into shocks for probably a year now so I figured things would've changed, new products would be out and prices would be down. HA! Guess not. So while looking at brands I know from years past, Bilstein came up and I found these on their website.

Bilsteins for a '2006'HONDA''Civic''

After doing some searching here on the Ocho, I do not see anyone talking about them. Does this mean they're still so new no one has tried them? Is this what I'm understanding? Everything else is getting reviews, good or bad but nothing on these. What's the story, what can anyone tell me and is it worth looking into? I like I can buy just the rears too but the fronts will be expensive later. If I can't find anything soon, I'll probably just order a HFP setup and deal with the fact I can't be as low. I do not track the car, I do not race, I'm just an average driver looking for ride quality but style too. I hate the way cars look at factory ride height and 18" wheels. Looking for help here... thanks everyone.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Someone will have to call to clarify. The application list states 02-06. Now, we all know the 8th generation started in 2006 and cannot possibly be the same as 01-05 MY.

That site that was posted lists the same part number for 2005, which is not even in the same generation as the current.

At this point, unless someone knows more, that site and even Bilstein's site is not correct.

http://www.bilstein.com/305bilsteinapplicationguide.pdf

Thought I would say something before you order and receive and they are not the correct application due to what I stated above.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
im guessing they are oem replacements...if they put something out everyone on here would go ballistic
Also, in general, Bilstein's "SP" shocks/ struts are oem replacements in regards to length, however, their SP series are design/ valved for:

firmer ride quality than standard HD shocks, these are designed for lowered vehicles and sport applications. For the performance minded driver, Sport shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface.
...and that info was taken directly from Bilstein's website. Their "HD" series shock seems to be their oem replacement in regard to both length and valving.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But it says it's for the SI but not the hybrid. Did they make a hybrid in the 7th gen? Those are the SP's for lowered cars... hence why I'm looking into it!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath. I tried already... If you all recall, we had the E46 BMW rears on my car. We had them revalved for autocrossing only. As for the fronts, apparently the G60 Corrado inserts would fit up front. I didn't feel like trying them out, hence I am now using Konis all around.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I checked Bilstein's official website. The one given in the first post wasn't the factory website. There is a part number, but the pic shows the 2002-2005 Si damper design. Although, given the price (from both sites), I'd have to say they will be a direct replacement.

But again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dammit... so when is anyone going to start investing on the 8th gen's suspension? Clearly people want it.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
I checked Bilstein's official website. The one given in the first post wasn't the factory website. There is a part number, but the pic shows the 2002-2005 Si damper design. Although, given the price (from both sites), I'd have to say they will be a direct replacement.

But again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
I just did a search on Bilstein's home site as well and the 2005 part number is the same for the alleged 2006. That can't be possible.

I will have to concur and say 06-09 Civic application does not exist at this point in time for Bilstein.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I just did a search on Bilstein's home site as well and the 2005 part number is the same for the alleged 2006. That can't be possible.

I will have to concur and say 06-09 Civic application does not exist at this point in time for Bilstein.
As a final nail in this coffin I checked the website of the guys I used to buy Konis from before I started having custom valving done... Bilstein Shocks | Bilstein PSS10 | Bilstein PSS9 | Eibach Springs | Koni Shocks | Tokico Shocks

They do NOT have a Bilstein option listed either. Matter of fact, they have a question mark regarding availability for the Koni Sports (though they have part numbers) which makes me wonder if Corsport is being a little optimistic in stating 3 weeks for delivery.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
As a final nail in this coffin I checked the website of the guys I used to buy Konis from before I started having custom valving done... Bilstein Shocks | Bilstein PSS10 | Bilstein PSS9 | Eibach Springs | Koni Shocks | Tokico Shocks

They do NOT have a Bilstein option listed either. Matter of fact, they have a question mark regarding availability for the Koni Sports (though they have part numbers) which makes me wonder if Corsport is being a little optimistic in stating 3 weeks for delivery.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
FWIW, when I spoke to a tech from Koni, who know all about the questions I had, mentioned 6 weeks out. That was 1 week ago. So we shall see.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This also coming from Koni the company who had the part number out early last year for our cars with the phrase "Coming soon" next to it..

Like Tony said, as long as you don't need them for the early part of this year, continue to wait for the Koni OE fitment.. I can tell you this...the design of the Redshift front shocks are FAR superior to anything that can be assembled by the DIY or even most professional garages using a strut insert. Chris' design makes full use of the OE housing and creates a sealed unit that fully restores the upper retainer of the strut, not just using the lower "squeeze bolt" and the pressure fingers to hold the insert into the OE housing.

Back to the original question..Bilsteins would cost around $1300 to have the PSS9 VW front strut inserts and the PSS10 BMW E46 rear shocks valved and converted to DA's for the Civic. I have an shop that has already started on these. Email me for the info..He has my test mules and is 50% done with rears..He just needs someone with cash to have the first set. You would also need to have the front struts machined by Redshift to accept the inserts. I bailed out on these and went with the Konis.

I figured I always ran OTS single Koni's on my Hondas, On my Miata ran the Non adjustable Bilsteins. Had a buddy running Koni singles. Found no appreciable difference in time or feel. In fact, mostly we could swap cars and run within .2 of each others scratch times in either car.

Converting the single Koni's to DA's runs about what the Bilsteins would cost. Then you get into the mono versus twin tube discussion and therory of shocks ....has been discussed before here somewhere. Maybe a sticky ??

Not trying to discourage you, but "Coming Soon" held us from a few trophies back in 2006 "waiting" for the Koni's/ Bilsteins anything to come out. In early 2007 we created our own. Worked well on the course, but you had to be really hardcore to drive them everyday.

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
This also coming from Koni the company who had the part number out early last year for our cars with the phrase "Coming soon" next to it..

Like Tony said, as long as you don't need them for the early part of this year, continue to wait for the Koni OE fitment.. I can tell you this...the design of the Redshift front shocks are FAR superior to anything that can be assembled by the DIY or even most professional garages using a strut insert. Chris' design makes full use of the OE housing and creates a sealed unit that fully restores the upper retainer of the strut, not just using the lower "squeeze bolt" and the pressure fingers to hold the insert into the OE housing.

Back to the original question..Bilsteins would cost around $1300 to have the PSS9 VW front strut inserts and the PSS10 BMW E46 rear shocks valved and converted to DA's for the Civic. I have an shop that has already started on these. Email me for the info..He has my test mules and is 50% done with rears..He just needs someone with cash to have the first set. You would also need to have the front struts machined by Redshift to accept the inserts. I bailed out on these and went with the Konis.

I figured I always ran OTS single Koni's on my Hondas, On my Miata ran the Non adjustable Bilsteins. Had a buddy running Koni singles. Found no appreciable difference in time or feel. In fact, mostly we could swap cars and run within .2 of each others scratch times in either car.

Converting the single Koni's to DA's runs about what the Bilsteins would cost. Then you get into the mono versus twin tube discussion and therory of shocks ....has been discussed before here somewhere. Maybe a sticky ??

Not trying to discourage you, but "Coming Soon" held us from a few trophies back in 2006 "waiting" for the Koni's/ Bilsteins anything to come out. In early 2007 we created our own. Worked well on the course, but you had to be really hardcore to drive them everyday.

Jeff
As someone that has Pss9 for another application and had them revalved, you need to understand one very basic pitfall about the Pss9/10's adjustment system. What Dennis Grant aka "DG's autocross secrets" say's about the adjustors is spot on. "They have a rebound adjuster (and they use it on the PSS9 series shocks) but it is really crappy and hard to tune - to the point of worthlessness. It's an on-off switch for the most part." Your better off forgoing adjustablity and having them valved right in the frist place. In addition to the on-off switch being correct, the Pss9/10 has a strange cup or trough that the oil flows into when it exits the adjustor, it add's your your misery in the revalving process and cannot be eliminated.

Lot's of people can be fast on Koni's, but vs a well valved Bilstein product you won't be as fast. Read FatcatMotorsports posts on miata.net.
While it's nice to see some shock dyno's posted here, your not getting the full picture, I see no hysteresis loops shown in any of them, which is typical when you want to hid it's existance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts