8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i have got some 18x8/37+ wheels mounted on 18/40/225 weigh 17.5lbs each..

The acceleration highly decreased coming from 15" wheels i was temporary using...

What is the reason behind that? which factor effect the acceleration negatively the most? width or diameter?

I just want to know for the sake of knowing and to be able to choose better fitments in future.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Well, other things we'd need to know are: How wide were the 15's, and what did they weigh?

I'm no expert on the subject at all, so hopefully somebody more knowledgable will chime in soon. I'm willing to guesstemate that the 15's are skinnier than the 18's, but that they weigh close to the same amount. If that's true,the 18's still have more mass, so it's taking slightly more force to rotate them.

Like I said, I'm no expert, and that's just my retarded theory. It made sense when I thought it up though, even if I'm completely wrong.:laughing:

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Personally I don't think the 18x8 has anything to do with it, and I doubt the +37 does either. I really think it's a R18 vs mass equation.

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it’s the diameter that effects your acceleration the most.
That's what i heard too, but what would effect the acceleration more you think, a bigger diameter like 17s>18s or a bigger width 17x7>17x8.5?

I really got interested in the topic since it didn't have worth number of threads about it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ok, when your talking about racing in the 1/4 mile the smaller the wheel diameter the more "Torque" or acceleration you will have. But with the smaller wheel you lose the top end speed. Weight will greatly affect the acceleration and obviously the heavier the wheel the less acceleration. As far as the width... it goes with weight. But there is a fine line between having a heavier wheel due to the width of the rim and the amount of rubber you have on the pavement which converts to a better holeshot (launch).

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, when your talking about racing in the 1/4 mile the smaller the wheel diameter the more "Torque" or acceleration you will have. But with the smaller wheel you lose the top end speed. Weight will greatly affect the acceleration and obviously the heavier the wheel the less acceleration. As far as the width... it goes with weight. But there is a fine line between having a heavier wheel due to the width of the rim and the amount of rubber you have on the pavement which converts to a better holeshot (launch).
What is more suitable for me is smaller wheels then, since all i care about is acceleration at low speeds.

some very useful info there, didn't know that 18s could help at top speeds at all!!

The Mugen Si has 18” wheels which are like 7 lbs lighter then the stock 17” Si wheels, yet the stock Si is slightly faster in a quarter mile…
The mugen is a heavier car...thus making it slower in the 1/4 mile.
I didn't feel any decreased acceleration after the Mugen lip kit and before mounting the new 18s, the parts were very light when i carried them by hand, so i think it's all about the diameter of the wheels then, GPs are 7" wide too i think?!

·
Broke Baller
110,904 Posts
Overall diameter of the wheels including tires... depending on the specs you have for the 15s, it might have had a smaller overall circumference thus better acceleration for you.

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Overall diameter of the wheels including tires... depending on the specs you have for the 15s, it might have had a smaller overall circumference thus better acceleration for you.
Thinking about it again, the diameter should effect much, since the car would need to roll on much less distance of tire/wheel with the 18s, compared to the 15s..but i wonder which would play a bigger rule width or diameter?!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Edmunds says they weigh the same but theres no way that can be true. They probably just kept the weight the same since there both sedans.

·
Broke Baller
110,904 Posts
Edmunds says they weigh the same but theres no way that can be true. They probably just kept the weight the same since there both sedans.
I would have to agree with that because I'm pretty sure they didnt factor in the Mugen Kit and other parts that is different between the 2...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Think about it this way... The wider and larger the diameter of the wheel, the mor rubber is going to be in contact with the road. By having more rubber in contact with the road, you are producing more resistance against the tarmac. So, you have increased the grip, but acceleration suffers slightly. You can most likely get better grip from a launch, but to compensate, you need to be making more power. 18x8 is a great size for the FD's in terms of overall performance. Just get some more engine goodies :thumb:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts