8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, wow this is the first time i post on here :wavey: and it isnt even for me. Well a buddy of mine has a 07 2DR Civic Si and had a little or huge, however u want to look at it, problem. Two days ago we were out at a friends and while my friend was backing up he scraped his rims on the the sewer drain at the housing complex. The scratch is maybe 4in long and barely noticeable but it caused his passenger side airbags to deploy. The seat and the whole headliner on the passenger side. We took it to Honda and basically there response at 2 dealerships were its a insurance issue and its only because the airbag sensor are really sensative in these cars. I really think its bullshit, trying to see if anyone else has had this problem or could give any suggestions at all... Thanks.

DAMN IT, i just noticied i posted in the wrong spot, can a mod move this for me to the correct spot please??? Sorry for being a nooooooob...

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
While that might have been funny to see for bystanders, that definitely is not right. That shouldn't have caused that to happen. I'm tired of Honda dealers making up excuses for the major problems that these civics have. Because of the seriousness of properly functioning airbags, please take it somewhere else and get the sensors checked and fixed. You don't want to find out in an accident what the real problem is.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Have your friend call his insurance company and tell them the situation. Also, call Honda America and see what they say. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
thats insane, i've been hit by an air bag before, but it was in an instance where it was NEEDED! i don't want to have to worry about getting hit while backing out of a church parking loT!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
was someone in the passenger seat? the passenger air bags turn off when no one's in it ^_^ tell them no one was sitting there when it went off lol. joking...kind of. but umm i got bumped in the front 2 weeks ago and my entire bumper unhinged but nothing deployed? sorry i'm no help, hope everything turns out well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well actually it does help because they said any slight movement or anything could trigger the airbag to go off... i've got countless happenings on here and another forum that there airbags didnt go off... so why did this one? And yeah another friend was sitting in the passenger front and rear one got bruised on his right upper arm and the other in the back got his neck and head pretty bad. Sucks, to see that the Honda dealership was nice and **** when he wanted to buy the car but after didnt even bother trying to help out or even just a sorry that it happened...

p.s. thanks for whoever moved the thread into the correct spot =)

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
i thought the airbags are only set to deply while over 15 MPH....so your friend was driving like an asshoel if doing 15+ in reverse.
i think you should post pics of this car that has ONLY the rims scraped. for some reason i think there is more to this. a dealer would not turn you away to insurance if they see no body damage to the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will def. get the pics tonight there is no body damage i assure you... i'm going to meet him after i get out of school so i'll just bring my camera with me... I dont know if he talked to American Honda yet but i will let all you know!

·
Registered
550 Posts
We took it to Honda and basically there response at 2 dealerships were its a insurance issue and its only because the airbag sensor are really sensative in these cars. I really think its bullshit, trying to see if anyone else has had this problem or could give any suggestions at all... Thanks.
I thought that was funny after reading it because a while back I was in an accident and went over a parking curb and slammed it really hard. $3000 in damages, had to replace subframe and seatbelt pretensioners fired. But guess what? No airbags! :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
761 Posts
there probably something you're not telling us. does he have mods to the car? anything behind the bumper? HIDs maybe that mounted to the airbag wires? i find it very hard to believe.

like the last story we read about this, the guy said his wife drove over a small bump in the road and was going crazy cuz the airbag went off. after a few days he took it to the dealer. turns out, the sub frame was all jacked up and the there was a lot of damage to the underside of the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is not as common as it looks. Please contact AHM if there is no other damage to the vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i thought the airbags are only set to deply while over 15 MPH....so your friend was driving like an asshoel if doing 15+ in reverse.
i think you should post pics of this car that has ONLY the rims scraped. for some reason i think there is more to this. a dealer would not turn you away to insurance if they see no body damage to the car.
Thank you, this is true. IF there is no other damage to the car, and no indication of an accident, then the dealer would not turn you away. I would also like to see pics of this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts

ok...so i wanst going to join this thing untill i saw this ignorant coment...

the car being talked about here is mine... pics will be up shortly...

i was driving at around 10mph in first gear not reverse..the street i was on was packed with cars so i got 2 close 2 the curb and scrached my back rim...barley noticable..NO BDY DAMAGE WHAT SO EVER...and the bags went off...so driving like an *******?? no.....no hids, i have drop spings thats it.. and yes TWO dealers turned me right away without even a good luck...honda has the worst customer service i have ever delt with ..ive had toyotas dodges and lincolns and none where as bad as this..

·
Registered
761 Posts
ok...so i wanst going to join this thing untill i saw this ignorant coment...

the car being talked about here is mine... pics will be up shortly...

i was driving at around 10mph in first gear not reverse..the street i was on was packed with cars so i got 2 close 2 the curb and scrached my back rim...barley noticable..NO BDY DAMAGE WHAT SO EVER...and the bags went off...so driving like an *******?? no.....no hids, i have drop spings thats it.. and yes TWO dealers turned me right away without even a good luck...honda has the worst customer service i have ever delt with ..ive had toyotas dodges and lincolns and none where as bad as this..
there is just something missing from this story. have you checked under the car for frame damage? how low does your sit? were the springs installed properly?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts