8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have advice on how to prevent rust on the stock Si brake rotors? Mine were rusty from the dealer at 22 miles - and are still rusty. They look horrible.

·
Registered
450 Posts
FIJIROB said:
Anyone have advice on how to prevent rust on the stock Si brake rotors? Mine were rusty from the dealer at 22 miles - and are still rusty. They look horrible.
Umm...sorry if I missed your point but have you ever owned a car with disc brakes before? They'll "rust" if you even stare at it. It comes off by pressing the brakes when driving.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dextor said:
Umm...sorry if I missed your point but have you ever owned a car with disc brakes before? They'll "rust" if you even stare at it. It comes off by pressing the brakes when driving.
First car I've owned that I can see the brakes while looking at it from the side...

There's plenty of disc rotors out there (mostly motorcycles) that I see - that don't look nearly as bad. I'm sure they're made of different material - but I'd still like to know if there's a safe trick to keeping the rotors a bit less rusty.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
slam on your brakes, no, seriously, if you use the brakes a lot the rust on the sides will go away.

however that won't work if you're trying to get rid of the rust on the edges

·
Registered
450 Posts
Humid whether can contribute to rusty looking rotors, if you use your car everyday or every second day that shouldn't be a problem. Mine will look rusty after I wash it (i.e. if I get any water on it). I doubt Honda used a different rotor just on your car, so it's not the material. Everyone else has the same rotor material. The rust on the rim is universal, nothing you can do about it.

But my point is using your brakes it the best way to make it look nice and shiny.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dextor said:
Humid whether can contribute to rusty looking rotors, if you use your car everyday or every second day that shouldn't be a problem. Mine will look rusty after I wash it (i.e. if I get any water on it). I doubt Honda used a different rotor just on your car, so it's not the material. Everyone else has the same rotor material. The rust on the rim is universal, nothing you can do about it.

But my point is using your brakes it the best way to make it look nice and shiny.
I guess I should have been more specific - I really meant the brake rotor rim rust. I'm in Florida - near the Ocean - so I probably see it more than most. Good to know it's universal...

·
Registered
48 Posts
you can oil the rotors to prevent the rust from forming so fast...

but then you may want to find another way to stop the car...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fps67 said:
you can oil the rotors to prevent the rust from forming so fast...

but then you may want to find another way to stop the car...
Read my second post in the thread - curious if there was a SAFE way to...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I'm still confused about what rust you're talking about, could you take a picture and circle the rust you want to get rid of?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
TJ213 said:
I'm still confused about what rust you're talking about, could you take a picture and circle the rust you want to get rid of?
His car has probrably been sitting on the dealer lot for a few months and the rotors prob have a nice layer of rust on them. Couple that with brake pads that are not broken in and you get rust that takes a while to go away.

Don't worry, it'll be gone soon. Your brake pads are not fully seated and won't scrape all the rust off yet, your car was probrably sitting for a while before you bought it.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
To actually answer your question (or attempt to) and not bs, I'll share some past experiences I've had when trying to conquer the same issue.

It was a sunny evening when I decided to hop in my RotorRustedRide™ to the autoparts store and pick up some super high temp paint. Highest temp you can find cuz that ish get's HOT and you don't want it to burn off. I took the rotors off, sanded the rust, cleaned, masked off the face of the rotor and painted it w/ the super high temp paint. You don't have to mask it off too much because it'll come off as soon as you hit the brakes when they're back on. I want to say it lasted for a few months and even after that it never got as bad. I know you can get some 1500deg black paint. Look for stuff made for headers/exhaust manifolds 'n such.
If you somehow kill yourself, inhale paint and get thrown in jail, or other repercussions from listening to my testimony, I claim no liability.
I live in Florida too, close to the beach and it used to bother me too. If that doesn't work, get some new SuperRim-HiddenRust™ (wheels that don't show the rotors so much)

True.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i have a very bad problem of the rust like spilling on to the rip through the lugs dunno y i hate it so bad like after i wash my car adn go drive teh rims will be all wet with rust colored spots

1 - 18 of 18 Posts