8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Try down shifting with out the brake first to get the feel of how much you have to tap the gas. Then actually start doing heel and toe. Preferably in an empty street first, as like me, you might hit the brake too much while trying to move your heel over.

practice, practice, practice

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
^^^ u gotta teach me man

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I practice by doing it in my daily driving, especially while I come up to corners. It becomes 2nd nature eventually much alike when you first learn to drive standard transmission and you do everything fluidly without thinking.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I can't twist my foot that much over. There's got to be a trick that I'm missing. Are you supposed to sit almost completely on your left cheek to get your heel over to the gas or what? What am I missing? I would love to get this down...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
to start off you can use the side of your foot, just put half of your foot on the brake and half on the gas

·
Registered
96 Posts
I heel and toe downshift all the time on the street, the shape of the gas peddle in our cars makes it easy with practice, I am having trouble at the track because I am braking so much harder than I typically do on the street, a few more track days and I hope to have it down.

·
Registered
929 Posts
You know, just because they call it "heel/toe" doesn't mean you have to use your heel and your toe. That's fine for the little Japanese and European race car drivers with size 5 feet but for those of us with size 12 clodhoppers it's a little more difficult.

I heel/toe all the time on the street and at the track by simply keeping my foot pretty much upright over both pedals (when I need to brake) and rolling the pressure left to right depending on how hard you want to brake or accelerate. There's simply no room / I'm not flexible enough to do it any other way. Works just fine for me in any Si or CSX I drive at work and in my EG Civic.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I can't twist my foot that much over. There's got to be a trick that I'm missing. Are you supposed to sit almost completely on your left cheek to get your heel over to the gas or what? What am I missing? I would love to get this down...
use the ball of ur foot on the brake and the side of ur foot to blip the throttle. takes a few tries to get used to; im glad i tried on empty streets first because my foot slid off the brake pedal and freaked me out a little haha. But like i said earlier in the thread it becomes 2nd nature.

·
Registered
227 Posts
what ive had trouble with is that the brake pedal comes out more (towards your foot) than the gas pedal, so you have to depress the brake a little so it becomes level with the gas. i've just been practicing double clutching without the brake.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You know, just because they call it "heel/toe" doesn't mean you have to use your heel and your toe. That's fine for the little Japanese and European race car drivers with size 5 feet but for those of us with size 12 clodhoppers it's a little more difficult.

I heel/toe all the time on the street and at the track by simply keeping my foot pretty much upright over both pedals (when I need to brake) and rolling the pressure left to right depending on how hard you want to brake or accelerate. There's simply no room / I'm not flexible enough to do it any other way. Works just fine for me in any Si or CSX I drive at work and in my EG Civic.
Tell me about it my friend....I rock a 14! It sucks trying it cause I almost always catch my foot on something down there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts