8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
oh the mist and shine is amazing, (it smells good too ) im completely out and my supplier stopped carrying it too, ugh, is the motorcycle stuff any different?? (I mean I wouldnt think it would be....but I dont want to turn into a harley chic....:wigglesmiley:)
The mist and shine at the Harley-Davidson dealership I get mines from is just the regular mist and shine. Nothing on the bottle says its for motorcycles. Any product used for m/c can also be used for cars aswell. No difference.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I read the entire thread and did not see anyone talk about using a carnuba with cleaner and then just carnuba to seal. What are you using for a cleaner?
I bought my car brand new so the paint was in pretty good shape. I simply used a claybar to prep the paint and then zaino'd it.

A "cleaner" wax is just one that has slightly abbrasive properties. I think it's made to "save a step" and combine the polish and wax steps into one.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I think any product designed to "save a step" is kind of a sham. I mean, some of them may work, but you will never get NEARLY the results you would by breaking the steps out and doing them separately.

I've never polished an entire car. I don't own any type of powered buffer (unless you count my forearm) and TBH, I don't know the proper way to use one. Like I said, I bought my car new and new cars have very minimal paint issues. I figure if I maintain my finish I will probably not have a need to polish it for a long time.

Oh and to be clear, a carnuba will not necessarily "seal" the paint finish depending on your definition of "seal". It will shine more than most but will not last nearly as long as products in the market that are actual "sealants".

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
The mist and shine at the Harley-Davidson dealership I get mines from is just the regular mist and shine. Nothing on the bottle says its for motorcycles. Any product used for m/c can also be used for cars aswell. No difference.
awesome! because i have seen they make a mist and shine for motorcycles and it says it on the bottle. Ill have to check out my local HD and see what they have

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use optimum opti-seal and it is crazy durable. It is also really easy to apply and you use very little so it lasts forever.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like Chemical Guys Pete's 53 wax. Its the best wax ive tried so far on my Si and it brings out nice effects on my habanero red pearl.

·
Registered
176 Posts
has anyone tried p21s carnauba wax or autoglym hd wax? How about the meguiars nxt tech wax 2.0?
has anyone tried p21s carnauba wax (yes, good wax, not spectacular) or autoglym hd wax?(nope) How about the meguiars nxt tech wax 2.0(no way)?

Lately for wax I have been using a assortment of Chemical guys stuff with really good results. I enjoy Dojo waxes as well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
So whats the best process/step when using Collinite?

Just:
Wash
Clay
Wash then use the Collinite wax? or what else and what other product works best with Collinite.
Depends on the results you want and condition of your paint, really.

I've got a NHBP 2007 Civic EX with 102,000 miles. The paint isn't bad, but required some pampering from time to time. Personally, every spring I do a full exterior detail with the following steps (products listed are in the order of machine/hand, since not everyone wants to use a random orbital like I use...)
-Wash (whichever carwash soap happens to be on sale...use liberally)
-Clay (Meguires Smooth Surface Clay & Meguires Quick Detail)
-Compound (Optimum Hyper Compound or Meguires Rubbing Compound)
-Polish (Optimum Hyper Polish or Meguires Polishing Compound)
-Sealant (Optimum Opti-Seal - wiped on by hand)
-WAIT 12-18 HOURS (time for polymer sealant to cross-link/cure)
-Hand wax with Collinite #845 Insulator Wax (I usually buff of with the random orbital, but can be done by hand as well)

Taking the time and following the steps above results in a need to seal/wax only once a year, and my car sits out in the elements 99% of the time.

I usually do a wash/clay/seal/wait/wax in the fall to protect the paint from road salt & less than weekly washes through the winter.

Hope that helps!

:driving:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Menzerna Powerlock is a sealant and is the BEST last step I have EVER used. Goes on easy with a very small amount of product being used for an entire car, comes off like nothing you've ever seen before, durability is insane, and the looks are just incredible. Here are a few cars I've done and applied it to....

S550

Beautiful blue legacy

Denali Quadrasteer

Of course, all of these were full compound/polish outs and have time ranging from 16-48 hours invested into them so you might see a different result, but this stuff is just AMAZING!!!!!
wow amazing!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here's Collinite on my Honda:

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen >

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I absolutely love blackfire wet diamond! Stuff is the slickest I have ever used.

Or you can go with wolfgang fuzion if you dont mind the price, or even go with some meguiars M16 if you can find any more tins. I used some M16 on a friends car a while back before we taped it up for the road and the tape wouldnt even stick to the paint :D

61 - 80 of 100 Posts